• Advertisement

Intro and help needed with DJI Phantom Vision2

Intro and help needed with DJI Phantom Vision2

Postby Bumblebee » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi Arnie here
I live in Cape Town and am a newbie to rotorcopter flying.
I purchased a phantom Vision 2 a week ago as I thought it would accelerate my learning curve.
But, frustrations as I cannot calibrate the compass. Horizontal rotation changes the yellow LED from yellow to green but then the vertical does not extinguish LED as instruction state. I have spent hours researching the web for fixes and have tried the suggestions like degaussing the magnet by waving another magnet about 3 cm from it. It is a documented problem in South Africa due to the magnetic declination here. It has been suggested that the firmware should include lookup tables but that doesn't help me. I have connected the Assistant software and the lowest I can get the compass mod to is 2078.
Can anyone help me to get airborne pleeeze?
Bumblebee

Re: Intro and help needed with DJI Phantom Vision2

Postby GarethRens » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:51 am

Hi Arnie

Does the copter fly fine in atti mode?

If so, have you watched colin guinns video about remagnitizing the compass?

It needs to be done in small circles around the compass.

Let me know!

G:)
http://www.stuffinc.co.za
We sell all kinds of stuff, including multi-rotor UAV/Drones :ugeek:
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby Bumblebee » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:11 am

Hi Gareth
Yes, I have watched nearly every one of Colin Guinn's Youtubes. I have followed the manuals instructions. I have tried degaussing the magnet. The problem is the people who are importing them in C.T. are a photographic supplier and are not clued up technically. I am going to go to them today and see if they can get help. I am so frustrated as being a new pilot don't want to fly before it is calibrated properly. I haven't tried ATTI mode yet but will try and get someone with experience to do a test flight for me.

Thanks for your feedback Gareth. I am also new to forums and realized I should have posted my question to the correct topic. Hope that has not limited the response.

Arnie
Bumblebee

Postby Bumblebee » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi Gareth
I managed to get the compass calibrated using a stronger smaller magnet and perseverance. CT is a bit windy today - so maybe a maiden flight tomorrow.
Arnie
Bumblebee

Postby yash0505 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Arnie I got the phantom 2 vision from guys in cape town too via actiongear.

anyway when i received the drone i also just could not calibrate (lights flashing red after vertical part of the calibration process) - no matter how many times i tried and no matter how slowly or quickly i made the rotations. After losing hope, I plugged into the computer and connected to assistant software, and updated the firmware. When i went outside and tried to calibrate again, it worked on the first try and without any issues! I don't know whether it was just a coincidence, but it doesn't seem so, because I really had to try and try without any success initially, but on the first attempt after updating, it worked. Good luck man.
yash0505

DJI Phantom Vision2

Postby Bumblebee » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi Thanks for the feedback. Today I connected to the assistant software and did the magnet story. All my software according to it is up to date. I think the manual is a little confusing for the compass calibration - a bit of Chinese English. They say that after the horiz the LED go solid green , which it always has and then after vertical 360deg the "the light indicators disappear" - which I could never get. Today after using a stronger magnet I got slow green flash after the vertical rotation which I now understand to be a successful compass calibration. What one doesn't want is yellow and red flashing. So the guide confused me.
Next step maiden flight. did not know action gear had a branch in CT. I got mine from Cinephotoin C.T. - nice guys but have NO technical knowledge, expertise or support with DJI products. At least I did not overpay.
Do you live in CT?
Happy flying
Bumblebee

Postby yash0505 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:41 pm

Ah that's great to hear. Nope, I'm situated all the way in Standerton, Mpumalanga :-D

Great to hear that you've finally sorted the issue out. My one bit of advice which I always adhere to before I take off: after you get slow green flashing LED, wait a while until you see the LEDs flash green rapidly multiple times (whereafter it will return to flashing slow green again). Then you know for sure that the Phantom has ascertained its home position, so if you ever do lose connection with the transmitter, it'll come back safe and sound.

Happy flying to you too!
yash0505

Postby Bumblebee » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks for the advice and tips.
Bumblebee

Postby Bumblebee » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:46 pm

First flight today lasted about 4 minutes. The pahantom 2 did not hover well all the time - it described slow circles. the flight ended trying to have a date with a palm tree but fortunately no damage and the video was quite good - need to narrow the angle as there is quite a curvature. next flight will be in a larger open field.
Bumblebee

Postby zenith » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:28 pm

Hey Bumblebee

What side of Cape Town you on? I fly around Green Point stadium and in Salt River/Upper East Side, sometimes in Alphen Park in Constantia.

I've got a DJI Naza Lite setup, and getting the gps/compass sorted out in the beginning is frustrating, but once the declination is set perfectly it's rock solid.
I've also discovered powering up on a level surface rather than on the grass makes a big difference in stability.
Shout if you need a spotter!
zenith

Next

Return to ***START HERE (Introduce yourself)***