• Advertisement

Quad V2 H shape vs X shape.

Discussion about custom airframe designs

Quad V2 H shape vs X shape.

Postby Gamma » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Right so like the topic, I am in the process of building a new quad. Mainly to have one to that I can throw around and abuse and learn, and a second one for FPV and Video platform.

I ordered some motors (Some nice cheap turnigy's will post a review if they are worth looking at in the future) and now my main focus has turned to the frame... The thing that brings everything together.

So now I want to know. A H-style frame vs a normal X shaped.

Looking to go a bit bigger with the new one to get improved stability because a 450mm is nice, but wobbly in wind. Seems like most H frames are >500mm since they are H shaped so that will increase stability and one main focus of it is the fact that you have a huge amount to mount cameras and other stuff where a normal X shaped one does not have a lot of space. The pro's of a X shaped is that its cheap, normally easy to replace and fix, and just fun to fly.

So now I want to here from some other members, have you flown both X and H style frames and if so, what did you like, was it different and what would you recommend? Does the size really increase stability that much?

In the event that I get a H shape, it will most likely be a custom build one since the TBS Discovery frame is beyond amazing but also beyond my student budget :D
Beerlifting? Students, beer and multirotors... What can go wrong?
www.ptawug.co.za
Gamma

Re: Quad V2 H shape vs X shape.

Postby DanZ » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:45 pm

I am in the process of designing/building a new quad for FPV. You have pretty much nailed the benefits of the H frame for FPV and that is real estate for mounting your gear. Another benefit is that they are easy to scratch build as well as having the benefit of placing the camera far enough forward to not have the props in view.

I know for my QAV500 the pitch axis required different tuning as opposed to the roll axis. This is simply because you have the majority of the weight spread out over the pitch axis and hardly anything over the roll axis. But it is fairly simple to get this right. Other FPV frames like "spider" type frames or non symmetrical shaped frames like the HoverThings FPV or TBS discovery I can imagine will be more difficult to tune, only because the non-symmetry of the design will now also affect the yaw axis. I'm not saying it is impossible to dial these frames in, youtube is proof that there are plenty of perfectly tuned frames of this nature flying around. It's just my preference to keep things simple ;)

I like your approach for building a simple basher quad for learning and a more serious machine for FPV. As that is what I have done myself :)
DanZ

Postby Gamma » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:03 pm

DanZ wrote:I am in the process of designing/building a new quad for FPV. You have pretty much nailed the benefits of the H frame for FPV and that is real estate for mounting your gear. Another benefit is that they are easy to scratch build as well as having the benefit of placing the camera far enough forward to not have the props in view.

I know for my QAV500 the pitch axis required different tuning as opposed to the roll axis. This is simply because you have the majority of the weight spread out over the pitch axis and hardly anything over the roll axis. But it is fairly simple to get this right. Other FPV frames like "spider" type frames or non symmetrical shaped frames like the HoverThings FPV or TBS discovery I can imagine will be more difficult to tune, only because the non-symmetry of the design will now also affect the yaw axis. I'm not saying it is impossible to dial these frames in, youtube is proof that there are plenty of perfectly tuned frames of this nature flying around. It's just my preference to keep things simple ;)

I like your approach for building a simple basher quad for learning and a more serious machine for FPV. As that is what I have done myself :)

On the topic of basher quad. I will upload some pictures later, rebuilt my quad last night with the frame I ordered from you some time ago.
4 x50m falls, 10 trees, some pavements and a roof later it was time to replace it haha. It still flew quite nicely tho. Epic frame for learning, it can take damage like a machine!

But yea. There is some local guy in SA that designed a H frame based on the TBS discovery and he said he is selling them, or will be selling them so really looking forward to a update of that...
http://www.jamiedco.com/quad-3.php
Thats the person and the frame. Its not a TBS discovery but looks quite decent.
www.ptawug.co.za
Gamma

Postby Gamma » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:09 pm

So I finished rebuilding my basher quad!
And as luck my have it, I already have a motor bent 1 day after I got them. Not even from flying...

Anyway thought I might share a pic...

Came out better than I thought. Was nice and stable before the cat nudged it of the counter and bent a shaft...
Weighs just under 910G so is extremely light and fast, also much stronger than it looks.

Still flying with the bent motor shaft until I can get stock :judge:
www.ptawug.co.za
Gamma

Return to Airframe Design