• Advertisement

Introduce yourself!

Re: Introduce yourself!

Postby LeeNaidoo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:26 am

Hi There

My name is Lee. I'm a surveyor in a large construction company and I'm keen to the latest drone technology and how it can benefit surveyors like myself.

Thanks

Lee
LeeNaidoo

Postby JeanCPT » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi Lee,

I've been looking at the exact same thing.
Have a look at this YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3wXggCqY_8&t=142s

Saw some apps that can be used:
PIX4D
and DroneDeploy.

I work for Armco, and thought of the same idea.
JeanCPT

Postby MCubedMedia » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:40 am

Greetings

Brand spanking new to this forum and I suppose to the world of drones!

My name is Mark Mansfield and I wear a few different hats when it comes to what I do.

I run my own photographic business called M Cubed Media, and I am a Director and senior photojournalist for World Airnews magazine.

I have recently acquired a DJI Mavic Pro drone, and I am about to embark on the long process of getting a ROC and RPL.
I do what I love, and Love what I do!
MCubedMedia

Postby DewaldFive » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:18 pm

Good day all, In short, My name is Dewald Holtzhausen

I am very new to RC... I flown Walkera Choppers, crashed one to many, I had my fair share of picking up Balsa Wood splinters from my planes that did not survive the day. to a point that I actually thought that I will try another hobby as al my experiments en trails ended up in me spending more money. But I found a true interest in Drones.

I have this passion to be a pilot, From my school years I was so into flying. but my father didn't think that it was a way to support my family, as a Pilot was just a glorified Taxi driver in his eyes, but he did not have interests i flight at all, so I understand why. he was a VERY hard worker and had his own Civil Business, and he put me through school and I studied IT and became a System Engineer thanks to my farther and his support and help.

But ..I still have that passion for flight, so that I even tried to join the air force.... Seeing with the New South Africa I had lots of uphills that I took on, but I still went at it... I have a hole list of Reasons why I was pointed away, and at the end of the day I was told old...so nothing could be done. but still, I researched methods to do Fixed wing training, and even Helicopter training, but he costs involved was affordable, specially having my family and daughters to support...so I decided to place my flight passion on the back burner for now...

but about two years ago, I started to play a bit with Quads...and saw such an opportunity for these devices to be used in so many ways to help ...
From straight forward, entertainment..Photography, to anti Poaching, Assisting Police... surveying...etc etc and many more.

So I started to focus on becoming a "Ground-Pilot" but there are not many places to provide training for this, nor could I really spot places where this could be accredited Career path.

But still, I am on the verge of buying my first PHANTOM 3 Pro, which I will use to start small, and go big. I will do alot of "free" favors...odd video clip here and there... assist farmer close by with surveying..etc etc... and then hopefully be recognized for my talents. Who knows , maybe start a business

so ja... that is in short my story...
DewaldFive

Postby Ragman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:59 am

Hi All, :wave:

Ernest here, I'm new to quad copter/drones and have been breaking my sons mini quad copters for some time now. Thought it might be a good idea to stop just watching YouTube and start to get my own while replacing the broken quads of my son. :blush:

Anyhow, I'm in Centurion and would like to meet fellow quad pilots for some advice and guidance in this hobby.
Ragman

Postby Michaeltwig » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi Im Michael from Pretoria. And I am super confused bec I wanted to import a xiaomi mi 4k drone from China but had no idea how the shipping and customs works. and the guys at china didnt make it easier with the engrish. :facepalm:
What I did understand is they asked me if i could clear the drone at customs on my own and that they might take the battery... I am not sure how it works.. But I am going to Hanoi (Vietnam) in Dec and i am thinking of just buying a/the drone there. ..
Michaeltwig

Postby AirbusH120 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:58 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Alan and I live in Johannesburg.

I was lucky enough to get a Phantom 4 Pro + for my birthday from my wonderful wife. Unfortunately I no longer have that drone (will post reasons on different forum) but recently replaced it with a Mavic Pro.

I'm no expert but love flying my drone around and doing some (very) amateur attempts at photography and videography.

Whilst I don't do it for a living, I am a commercial helicopter pilot and have flown helicopters for 12 years. Prior to that it was purely fixed wing. And even though for me there's nothing on earth better than flying a helicopter, I must tell you I love little more than firing up my drone and shooting it around the sky.

I'm looking forward to learning on this site and thank you to whoever conceived and put it together.
AirbusH120

Postby securityguy007 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:49 am

Hi All,

My name is Ivan, I am in the Fourways area and am very new to the drone world. I recently bought myself a Phantom 4 Pro and have taken it up for a few flights in beginner mode. At this point its still very much a hobby but I may want to take it further at sometime and get the RPL, not for any commercial purposes but more so that I can fly the drone properly and not have to rely on the computers and technological wizardry to fly the drone for me...

I am looking for an area close to me in Fourways or surrounds where I am legally allowed to fly for practice, so if anybody has any suggestions please let me know. Is there Fourways drone club where like minded hobbyists can get together and fly?
securityguy007

Previous

Return to ***START HERE (Introduce yourself)***