• Advertisement

Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself!

Postby Gamma » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:52 pm

As requested, here is a thread made only for new members (And old) to introduce yourself to the rest of the forum!

So I will go first to start things off.

I am Gamma!
Currently a BSC Student, Live somewhere in Pretoria. Quite new to the multirotor and whole RC scene but learning fast!
Started FPV recently and destroyed a tree thanks to my amazing flying.

I fly 'n qaud, with a DanZ frame, but is busy designing something like a QAV500 for beter FPV flying in the future!

And now you know a bit more about me!
Beerlifting? Students, beer and multirotors... What can go wrong?
www.ptawug.co.za
Gamma

Re: Introduce yourself!

Postby Reynier » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:42 pm

:wave:
Hey everyone. I am Reynier also new into the hobby and finding it something to keep me sane. Something to fill the troubled mind I think. I live in the Durban area with all the wonderful mountains and beaches. Lots of places to play with the Quadcopter and things. I never liked the radio control thing flying a minature what ever but the quadcopter is not like that. It is technology and you can play with the settings,experiment with what you can do and make it work for you at the end of the day and it will give you a good idea of where things are heading with the technology.

hope to read somthing about the rest of you
Regards
Reynier

Postby ET51 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:13 am

Born in Durbs and grew up in PMB. I am based in Cape Town, also very new to the Remote control. Never flown anything before but did get myself "areo sim" after rebuilding my home made quad 3 times.

I am quite a busy guy, work in computers & break away to my metal workshop at home in the evenings to build model steam engines, quadro copters & all sorts of interesting projects. I like the feeling of finishing a project, so there is always progress on what ever projects i am working on.

If you want to know more about me, just ask :)
Make it, break it, fix it!
ET51

Postby GarethRens » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:06 am

I'm the guy that fixes your spelling and web video links... ;)
Or at least tries to!

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.stuffinc.co.za
We sell all kinds of stuff, including multi-rotor UAV/Drones :ugeek:
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby DanZ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:01 am

DanZ here from Durbz

I am draughtsman by trade and work for a Lasercutting company in Westmead. I have never really been involved with RC flying prior to multirotors, but when I saw my first quadcopter I thought it was the coolest thing ever and I knew I had to give it a go. Now I am an FPV addict.

I have been quiet as late, due to my crash in the berg end of last year... If you haven't seen the video you can look it up in my youtube channel in my sig. Since crashing my beloved QAV500 I have built a different animal... decided to go for a delta wing for some more fast pace FPV fun :) I'll write up a build log on that. As for multirotors I will be resurrecting my quad and building a Tricopter from the components that still work, but I'm still in the planning phase for that, I'll keep you guys posted.

DanZ
DanZ

Postby MountainChicken » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi Folks.
My name is James and I'm a model aeroplane addict.
I've been flying fixed wing models on and off for 30 years plus, but have really been taken by the idea of a self navigating drone. (something else to blame my crashes on I think).

I have converted a Chinese mill to CNC and have built my own 4 stroke model engine.

I am now getting into drones with a Flamewheel 450, some first generation outrunner motors and an ardupilot All in One board.
Busy having fun getting the PID settings right!

Glad to have some kindred souls close by.
MountainChicken

Postby spiff » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi guys,

just joined this site today hoping to get my ageing (brand new) quadcopter back up in the air again after a long lay off. (+-2yrs)

ultimately I want to get into FPV.

my equipment so far:

DIYdrone quadcopter
gps
sonar
APM1 (not quite sure)
Spectrum DX8

assembled the quad - got all the electronics soldered etc.
had a few wiring issues - sorted
had a few programming issues - not quite sorted yet?

got the quad hovering successfully a few times in my lounge (to windy outside) - then I got clever and decided to try the " alt hld " switch - with the new sonar I fitted. the result was the quad took off like a rocket, bounced off the ceiling, and landed on the couch minus all the props :facepalm:

I struggled to get props for it and that's as far as it's gone.

I see things have moved on since then to the new APM2.5 autopilot, so I'm wondering whether I should upgrade to the APM2.5 or battle on with the old APM1?

I'm not that into programming, I just want to fly the thing - so I would prefer a simpler system - plug & play? I might be interested in a whole new quadcopter system - so if you interested in buying my quadcopter as is - then let me know? (cape town area only)

any suggestions / advice?

thanks
spiff

:hmmm: so this site is dead then?

* Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright - until they speak *
spiff

Postby GarethRens » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:44 am

Hi, my names Gareth :)

No, it has a pulse. A mostly geeky pulse. But its definitely alive :)
There aren't many of us "drone" people, but the community is growing.

You should of seen it a year ago! I was the only member! lol

Any ideas anyone has are welcome in the comments and suggestions section!

Oh and Welcome new members!
:disco:

If you dont feel you're getting the attention you deserve on this forum, drop me a message and ill break out the air horn and wooden ruler :)
:spank:

G:)
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby GarethRens » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:31 am

Hey Spiff

I started out a while back with the APM1 and arducopter. To cut a long story short, I got it working quite well. But have since then upgraded to a friendlier platform. Although not with the same community behind it.

DJI flight controllers are the way to go if you want something to fly with no hassles. Especially good for FPV as the return to home failsafe actually returns to home ;)

Check out my channel on youtube. You will find it most illuminating :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/nervrunna

GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby spiff » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:52 am

GarethRens wrote:Hey Spiff

I started out a while back with the APM1 and arducopter. To cut a long story short, I got it working quite well. But have since then upgraded to a friendlier platform. Although not with the same community behind it.

DJI flight controllers are the way to go if you want something to fly with no hassles. Especially good for FPV as the return to home failsafe actually returns to home ;)

Check out my channel on youtube. You will find it most illuminating :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/nervrunna

Great thanks Gareth,

that DJI flight controller looks decent enough. is this what you using now?

did you have any hassles converting your quad to the new FC?

I already have a gps & sonar module on my quad can this be added to the Naza V1 M?

thanks
spiff
spiff

Next

Return to ***START HERE (Introduce yourself)***