• Advertisement

Introduce yourself!

Re: Introduce yourself!

Postby GregSW » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi

I'm Greg from Randburg, got a DJI Phantom today.
Looking forward to playing and learning.
GregSW

Postby GrahamDyer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:55 am

Hi, I'm Graham. I live in Blairgowrie, Randburg, some may know me from the DIYDrones site and forums where I'm pretty active and am a moderator.

Flying RC for 20 years, in 2008 I first flew the original very basic Ardupilot 168 legacy on a Slow Stick, then went through the APL 328, APM1 1280, APM1 2560, APM 2 and APM 2.5/6 on various planes and quadcopters. In 2011 I had a flyaway with my quad out in the bush in a very remote part of SA which resulted in quite a few of the current safety features being added to ArduPlane and ArduCopter. Fortunately my flyaway was terminated by a large knobthorn tree so didn't lose the quad.

Have been fairly critical regards the ArduPilot code but the progress being made is commendable, particularly with regards to ArduCopter which is unrecognizable compared to 2 years ago. I still have misgivings about the new ArduPlane but time will tell how that turns out. ArduCopter requires a little work and care to setup correctly but once done is actually amazing! Features like Drift mode, Geofence, internal safety checks, GPS glitch protection & various Acro modes are starting to make it stand out, especially at the price which for what it offers can't be beat. Also the code is developing at a very fast rate so bugs and features get found, fixed and added quickly. The downside of ArduPilot being open source is that some features don't get the attention they deserve.

In 2013 I started working at UAV and Drone Solutions (UAVDS) in JHB and now spend all day flying, building and testing UAV's, a dream job. We use DJI, ZeroUAV, Zenmuse, Skyview EasyPilot 3.0 and ArduPlane.
GrahamDyer

Postby johanjonker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:27 am

Hi Guys. I'm Johan Jonker, from Rustenburg and have been in the hobby for 17 years.

I have been out of the hobby for a little time, but when I saw someone fly FPV I was hooked. Since I recently sold everything I had, I had to buy everything new.. and boy, now I have the same hobby with lots and lots of new stuff on it.
Firstly I dont have to wipe down any of my planes anymore, secondly, I build them from flitetest, and I know everyone knows them., I build a complete plane in a matter of hours and cruise 5km around sitting in the shade.. HOW COOL IS THAT!!
johanjonker

Postby steync » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi, I am Christo Steyn, I am a gadget addict...

I'm in IT and all electronic stuff interests me... I have dash cams in the car - bought under the lie that it is for my wife.... I enjoy Overland travel, hunting, game farming, guns, building warning systems for my car, house, farm etc... much more expensive in the end than a complete installation (but where is the fun in buying a completed item?)

Apart from the static Wild Cams on the farm, I want to build a drone with a camera (maybe video to a laptop) to view the game - it should be useful to track injured animals... but that is the start...

Cheers
CS
steync

Postby GarethRens » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi Everyone!

Welcome to SA Drones!

G:)
http://www.stuffinc.co.za
We sell all kinds of stuff, including multi-rotor UAV/Drones :ugeek:
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby JtCarbon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:22 am

Hi,Guys
I'm Stephen,and I like hobbies,especially RC hobbies.
And I think I'm able to see the Andriod-Based-Mobile control Toys before I'm too old.

Hope to make friends with you!
By the way,we can produce carbon fiber tubes etc for RC Drones.
Attachments
stephen  photo.jpg
JtCarbon

Postby GarethRens » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:24 am

Hey JT

Post all your prices and sizes!

Also do you have carbon sheet?

G
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby Polla » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 am

Hi Polla here ..
I like tricopters and tennis.
Polla

Postby GarethRens » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:15 am

Hey Polla!

Welcome to the forum!

Tricopters & tennis you say?
This brings to mind motion controlled copters playing tennis...

G:)
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby chip » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi there,

I'm Dale and live in Centurion. I have been involved in rc flying for since 2002 and have worked in the hobby industry from around 6 years, I haven't flown much lately and I have found a new interest in drones/UAV's, especially quadcopters. Planing on buying/building my first quadcopter soon.

Any inputs for a newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dale
chip

PreviousNext

Return to ***START HERE (Introduce yourself)***