• Advertisement

Introduce yourself!

Re: Introduce yourself!

Postby GarethRens » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Hey Spiff

I only use DJI, its expensive but it gives quality and reliability that people expect from other fc's but dont get.

The ardupilot is open source whereas DJI is proprietary closed source hence none of the flight controller hardware is compatible except for stuff like escs etc.
With regards to the sonar. The naza keeps better vertical accuracy with a barometer than the APM could ever with any amount of sonars.

I spent months frigging with my APM1, slowly come right with loiter and lose altitude hold due to firmware. Dont get me wrong it was fun :)
However, I spent more time on the PC, compiling firmware, tweaking PIDS etc than I ever did actually flying anything. I didnt mind that all too much, but alot of people want
to actually fly these flying things, not carefully observe them sitting on ones table beeping and flashing.

Now to business! In your mail you said you have a DJdrone. What is this? Where did you get it? What motors and speed controllers does it have?

Switching the APM out for the Naza took not more than 20 mins and another 10 mins doing the setup on the PC.
The only thing you must do is remove the positive wire from each ESC BEC as the naza has its own power supply.
I used the same PDB that came with my arducopter, i just removes the signal bec leads and plugged them directly into the naza.

So ya, you shouldnt have any trouble. And if you do, drop me a line :)

G
http://www.stuffinc.co.za
We sell all kinds of stuff, including multi-rotor UAV/Drones :ugeek:
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby spiff » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:12 am

[quote="GarethRens"]Hey Spiff

I only use DJI, its expensive but it gives quality and reliability that people expect from other fc's but dont get. - you telling me :angry:

The ardupilot is open source whereas DJI is proprietary closed source hence none of the flight controller hardware is compatible except for stuff like escs etc.
With regards to the sonar. The naza keeps better vertical accuracy with a barometer than the APM could ever with any amount of sonars.

great so I can toss the APM1, sonar & gps and use the frame - was thinking maybe I should sell the arducopter and buy the F450 kit as well - save myself a whole lot of bother?

I spent months frigging with my APM1, slowly come right with loiter and lose altitude hold due to firmware. Dont get me wrong it was fun :)
However, I spent more time on the PC, compiling firmware, tweaking PIDS etc than I ever did actually flying anything. I didnt mind that all too much, but alot of people want
to actually fly these flying things, not carefully observe them sitting on ones table beeping and flashing. - not into updating parameters all the time - just want to fly the damn thing

Now to business! In your mail you said you have a DJdrone. What is this? it's an arducopter

Where did you get it? - bought from local hobby shop - prefer not to get into that

What motors and speed controllers does it have? - will check and get back to you

Switching the APM out for the Naza took not more than 20 mins and another 10 mins doing the setup on the PC.
The only thing you must do is remove the positive wire from each ESC BEC as the naza has its own power supply.
I used the same PDB that came with my arducopter, i just removes the signal bec leads and plugged them directly into the naza.
that sounds good - now you got all warm and fuzzy again :facepalm:

can the NAZA cope with a video camera on board, FPV etc. cause this is where I want to be

regards
spiff
spiff

Introduce yourself!

Postby ShadowSA » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:31 am

Hi everyone

My name is Francois and I'm addicted to R/C :D . Have been flying planes on and off for a couple of years. More recently built some of RCPower's depron jets (LOADS of fun and cheap) and now I want to get my hands dirty on some quads.

I built a dirt cheap hong kong (F450 copy for $7) quad with a KK black board F/C. Was difficult to set up, but flies OK-ish. Not very user friendly and requires a lot of skill. Last week I bought the DJI F450 and Naza v2 conrtoller. Will be taking it out for its first flight today. As I get my confidence up, I'll go back to flying the KK. Using a Hitec optic 6 atm, so no 3 position switch, I need to upgrade soon. Futaba 8FG or Spektrum 9dx are both looking good.

My next step is FPV, but it's a lot of money...

Would love to hear where you guys go flying, maybe join an event or two sometime.

Thanks for an awesome forum.

--Edit: Location JHB, Gauteng, Westrand --
ShadowSA

Postby Wiggles » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Hello all,

Fairly new to the RC world, had a couple 10th scale petrol rc cars and buggies in my teens but moving into this world. Decided to take the plunge with a phantom 2 vision which ill be picking up in the next couple of weeks (stock issues locally suggestions welcome though)

Mainly looking towards an rtf unit atm and learning to fly then move into the more DIY projects.

Chose the vision as I am an event tech, rigging mainly but can do almost everything lol and can see using it as a small selling point to some of my clients. Solely based on learning to fly and lots of tips from friends (photographer and commerical pilot mainly lol)

Originally came here to ask a load of questions (CAA mainly) but found all the info I needed already.

Think its great that someone's started this place as find info in SA esp on newer platforms like these has proven fairly difficult.

Keep up the great work and thanks for all the info so far (fingers crossed for a beer lift trophy one day lol loved the vids)
Wiggles

Postby zenith » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Heya
I'm Karl, noobie DJI 550 Pilot and software developer. I've discovered that if a tree falls in the forest a drone probably hit it.
Doing a little software dev on PC & Arduino and some electronics, so looking forward to making more interesting payloads. :wave:
~
zenith

Postby GarethRens » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:59 pm

Hey Karl!

Welcome to the forum! I also dabble in the arduino arena quite a bit! Lemme know what projects you get up to and maybe we can do a joint effort :)

G:)
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby zenith » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Hey Gareth!

:yes: Collab would be great.
Right now I'm rigging some switchable EL lighting with a line laser shining on the ground, and hooking up one of those 2km radio kits from NetRam to add telemetry.
The 1W XBee radios look interesting... 80km range!

What projects are you interested in doing?
zenith

Postby GarethRens » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:04 am

I have so many projects and ideas to do, that I battle to choose which to do first. Normally finances determine project priority.
Will send you a message with one of the projects i currently have on the burner!

G:)
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby RhysM » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi.
glad to see many enthusiasts - but how many of you are playing with fixed wing designs?
I am both a hacker, programmer and fixed-wing pilot.
Have some crazy ideas and schemes in the workings.
More on that soon!

rhys.

Hey Gareth. Hope you and your significant other are well. happy previous customer :D
RhysM

Postby Xarchitex » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi all,

Name is Dawie. Currently an App Developer, but also a complete Gadget Freak. Can't afford to fly myself yet, so next best thing is RC! Busy building my own quad (I'm also a DIY freak). 60cm frame, KK Multicopter controller etc etc. Waiting for a few parts still. Looking forward to share my build experience.

Want to get into Arial photography, but need to learn the basics first (and not write off the quad on the first flight! 8-) )

D
Xarchitex

PreviousNext

Return to ***START HERE (Introduce yourself)***