• Advertisement

Yet another newbie interested in recreational droning ;-)

Yet another newbie interested in recreational droning ;-)

Postby shrick » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:37 am

Hello!

My name is Rico, situated in Faerie Glen, Pretoria East and I'm interested to start with droning for recreational (photographic) purposes. I've done quite some research on which drone I'd be interested to buy - the DJI Phantom 4 Pro.

Right out the box, I have 2 important questions.

(1) I have an opportunity to save lots of money and buy my drone from the US. The prices in SA is quite high. Yes, I know, the warranty is an issue. Is it really worth spending that extra 40% here? This same package will cost me around R40k in SA! I have an opportunity to have the drone traveled to SA via a family member, I believe it should cost me around R28k in total. This is the package I'll buy: https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Quadcopter-Batteries-Extender-Charging/dp/B01N0N8K7Y/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1501489638&sr=8-11&keywords=phantom+4+pro I'd appreciated your comments here?

(2) Regulations... How strict are these rules? Lets say I lift off my drone at my house in Faerie Glen and take a scenic flight over the area. Will somebody shoot my drone down, will the police immediately rock up at my house, will my drone be confiscate, will I get an immediate fine? How strict are these rules? Where do you guys normally fly? If its so limited and restrictive, then, I don't know how much fun the hobby might be...

Thanks in advance!
Rico
shrick

Return to ***START HERE (Introduce yourself)***