• Advertisement

Atmega and KK controller boards

Discussion about airplane designs and kits

Atmega and KK controller boards

Postby KevPerkins » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:15 pm

I've been researching some "economical" flight controllers and I wondered if anybody has had any experience with the latest Hobbyking controller:

ATMEGA 168PA listed at US$12.99 (which roughly converts to ZAR 113.60 at today's exchange rate - 06 November 2012)

Apparently it's expandable (comes with the servo leads) to a Hexacopter configuration.

I will endeavor to look up some reviews and share them with the forum but if any of you have had local experience with them, please post your experiences - there's always that "South African perspective" that filters a lot of the BULLSH*& that we see and hear from overseas reviewers :hmmm: (some not all - but man there are some total WingNuts out there :shock: ).

I apologise in advance if someone has already covered this in depth on the forum. If so please direct me to the discussion link.

I decided I want to build as many multi-rotors as my wallet will allow just see how differently they all fly....then provide my limited "expertise" :baby: / experience as reading material for those interested...I've already gained enough experience in the last six months to save a total newbie at least R3000! :facepalm:

Cheers for now
Attachments
Atmega_Hobbyking.jpg
The NEW Hobbyking Atmega 168PA
Kevin Perkins WCc PgME M(ni)
"VTOL or nothing!...Airports are a system of control and extortion - nothing more!"
websites: http://www.kevinperkins.co.za

(world class comedian previously gifted mechanical engineer mother not impressed)
KevPerkins

Re: Atmega and KK controller boards

Postby KevPerkins » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:00 pm

OK, in the time it took me to post my last message, I have found out that there is now a Hobbyking Atmega Version 3 out. So far the only review i found that gave any decent feedback was that it was pretty much the same as version 2 except that the board is BLUE in colour!!! :facepalm:

But for the luxury of having a version 3 you will pay US$19.99 (ZAR174.82)

That's an increase of US$ 7 (ZAR 8.75.... :o )

Is it worth the money? :hmmm: Man, I dunno....R8.75....but it's BLUE man!!!! :lol:

Anybody got any of these flying in SA?

Cheers
Attachments
Atmega_Hobbyking_V3.jpg
Hobbyking Atmega V3...it's BLUE!
"VTOL or nothing!...Airports are a system of control and extortion - nothing more!"

(world class comedian previously gifted mechanical engineer mother not impressed)
KevPerkins

Postby KevPerkins » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:19 pm

See for yourself
Attachments
Atmega_Hobbyking_V2_vs_V3.jpg

KevPerkins

Postby robone » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:15 pm

KevPerkins wrote:I decided I want to build as many multi-rotors as my wallet will allow just see how differently they all fly....then provide my limited "expertise" :baby: / experience as reading material for those interested...I've already gained enough experience in the last six months to save a total newbie at least R3000! :facepalm:

Cheers for now

Hi Kevin

You are a brave man. There are a lot of FC's out there.

Here is the list taken from RC Groups, and I am sure there are a lot more, like the one you have just mentioned, that are not on the list.

AfroFlight32
AR.Drone
ArduCopter
ArduPirate
AutoQuad
Beetle V929/V939 mini and micro quads by WLToys
Black Vortex/MegaPirate
ARM-O-Kopter
AutoQuad
BigQuadro
BaronPilot-Tricopter
BumbleBee
CADMicopter
Conrad Quadrocopter 450
Corvus M3
Cyberdrones Copter
DJI WK-Multicopter
DJI NAZA
E-Flite Blade MQX
Free Flight v1.2
Feiyu Tech FY-90Q
Feiyu Tech FY-91Q w/GPS
FX-H46/TMF
Gaui-quadrocopter Gaui INS
HoverFly (Quadpowered redesign and new name)
Hubsan X4 Micro Quad
KapetienKuk Simple Quad
LotusRC T580 Quad
Mikrokopter six motor - hexa
Mikrokopter eight motor - octo
Mikrokopter twelve motor
MultiWiiCopter aka TriWiiCopter
Openpilot
Paparazzi Booz Quad
Paparazzi Drunken Monkey Quad
"PCC" (Plejad Copter Control)
PIPO ISU
QuadroControl
QuadPod by Snelflight
Quad Rotor Observer (QRO)
Quadshot
Rabbit Flight Controller
TT-Copter
TurboAce X720
Shrediquette - a tricopter by William Thielicke
Simple standard gyro only quad by SSM
Signguy's Tricopter build
Skymixer
Skyquad
Syma X1 mini quad
Xaircraft X500D
Xaircraft X600D (X500D-V2)
Xaircraft X650D
Walkera UFO MX400
Walkera X-Wing
Zero UAV YS-X6

Why don't you start with the ones that have already been tried in the market such as the Afroflight 32 by TimeCop or the OP CC or even the Rabbit...etc etc, and enjoy the flying too.

You can also get some decent clones of top rated boards. Now those would be worth playing around with. The board I would like to use next is the Autoquad and also the YS-X4 (soon to be released)

If you ask around, some of the guys will tell you which ones to avoid like the plague.

I will start:

Don't go near the XAircraft products.

Cheers
Rob
http://www.multirotor.co.za
| 3DRobotics | ZeroUAV | RC Tiger Motors | Vulcan SkyHook Airframes |
robone

Postby robone » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Oh yes, and some like chewing bits of your body and you also get others that like to return to China, and then you get the space ship version that just keep on going up and up, never to be seen again. You also get the ones that like to eat dirt all the time :)
robone

Postby KevPerkins » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Thanks Robone :lol:

Could be quite scary for youngsters in townhouse complexes. :lol: ...especially if the quad makes a low pass under the clothes line and drags someone's mother's stained panties up to infinity and beyond!

Imagine THAT....

Is it a bird?
Is it a plane?
.....Noooooit ....it am my mother's old panty!!!!...sheesh no wonder it's so unstable!

Of course there are THOSE controllers....the "Lamborghini/Ferrari/Rolls-Royce" type controllers...that are THE BUSINESS!!! And just as those luxury vehicles are beyond the budget of mere mortals, so too, some of these controllers can get nauseatingly expensive .....but they DO offer some MAGNIFICENT features like the "follow-me" and "return to home" and "loiter" drones of the world (YS-X6 :yes: and of course Wookong/Naza :yes: ).

But sometimes, people don't need all the frills, they just want a basic board that can fly a quad or a hexa around the garden and enable the youngsters to participate in this awesome hobby in relative safety...and if a catastrophic crash should render the controller useless...the junior pilot won't have to wait till his 21st birthday or first paycheck to be able to afford to replace it.

Hmmm thoughts or feedback anyone? :hmmm:

KevPerkins

Postby JohanMoelich » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:31 am

Kevin, there's also the KK2 board which is $29.99 but it's got an LCD screen for easy adjustments at the field. Plus some other nifty features.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Board.html

JohanMoelich

Postby GarethRens » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

All things considered, R2500 for a naza isnt alot of money. I just forked out R1500 for transport for a bunch of multi-rotors to customers.

If you spend R2500 on a decent FC, you crash ALOT less. Ergo you save money in the long run.

You buy 4 x kk controllers and crash 10 times, destroy 4 motors, 2 escs, 2 frames and one camera.

Or buy a naza to start with and have one or two pilot induced crashes that cost maybe a motor or two and a few props and arms...

Also, i have yet to see a crash thats destroyed a naza, so i would suggest spending most of the budget on a decent "brain" for your quad/hexa/octo/deca/dodeca...
http://www.stuffinc.co.za
We sell all kinds of stuff, including multi-rotor UAV/Drones :ugeek:
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby robone » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:54 pm

I agree with you Gareth. So much time and money is wasted on these cheaper FC's, and most of the time is wasted waiting for Firmware updates to resolve issues and also waiting for parts that have been damaged due to non functioning FC. But the worst sin is to put an expensive FC on a $25 frame.

Cheers
Rob
robone

Postby TheFlytechguy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:03 pm

I agree guys, I have the green HK board and it works well enough but you can NEVER take your eyes off the quad as you have to be on the sticks the whole time, these boards are great if you want to perform aerobatics and the like where you are stirring the sticks anyway...The NAZA is the gamechanger as it says on the box, I fitted my Naza to the same quad as I was flying with the HK board and the difference blew me away! on atti hold mode I could not believe my eyes as I could do all the stupid stuff like put the tx down and walk up to the quad and catch it...NOT recommended!

I fully agree, with a proper controller, the crashes reduce drastically and the maintenance time and costs go down, I would suggest looking more seriously at the KK2.0 board (with lcd as shown above) as this board can be easily changed between craft and has a self-leveling feature which will help a newb.

Long story short spend as much as you can on your controller as it will save a lot further down the line...
TheFlytechguy

Return to Aircraft Platforms