• Advertisement

Deep Reaper flying wing

Discussion about airplane designs and kits

Deep Reaper flying wing

Postby JohanMoelich » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 am

This morning I was looking forward to reading new posts on the forum, but sadly there were none. So I decided to do something about it! :D

This is my FPV flying wing. The Deep Reaper is the larger version of the Grim Reaper by Crash Test Hobby. The Grim Reaper was designed as a combat wing, and is built to last through the most abusive combat flying possible. Have a look at this Crash Test Hobby combat and limbo video:

YouTube

People started using the Grim Reaper for FPV, so CTH designed the Deep Reaper for longer duration flights with better carrying capacity.
Here's some photos of my DR:

Crash Test Hobby website:
http://crashtesthobby.com/
JohanMoelich

Re: Deep Reaper flying wing

Postby GarethRens » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:57 am

Amazing how better it looks once painted ;)

P.S. Collecting an XMC X650 Hexa with a WKM today and will post the build pics :D

G
http://www.stuffinc.co.za
We sell all kinds of stuff, including multi-rotor UAV/Drones :ugeek:
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby JohanMoelich » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:00 am

Some screenshots from previous flight videos:

This was below 400m AGL in case anyone is wondering... :angel:

My first night flight at Strand beach. The dark patch on the right is the ocean. The FPV cam had better low light vision than the HD cam, and I could clearly see the waves from up there. Sadly I didn't get a recording from the FPV cam feed. That means another night flight will have to be done soon!

JohanMoelich

Postby JohanMoelich » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:02 am

GarethRens wrote:Amazing how better it looks once painted ;)

P.S. Collecting an XMC X650 Hexa with a WKM today and will post the build pics :D

G

In the first photos, it was covered in clear lamination which comes with the kit. I didn't like it, so I covered it in cast vinyl. Much better!
JohanMoelich

Postby DanZ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:58 am

This is one awesome machine! And it will feature in my first edited FPV video :P Johan does some nice fly by's. My brain is constantly thinking of the next multirotor build... now alas... so are flying wings. This hobby really takes a toll on ones wallet :P
DanZ

Postby hennisdk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:19 am

DanZ wrote:This is one awesome machine! And it will feature in my first edited FPV video :P Johan does some nice fly by's. My brain is constantly thinking of the next multirotor build... now alas... so are flying wings. This hobby really takes a toll on ones wallet :P

What wallet, had to sell my wallet :woot: :hmmm:
hennisdk

Postby DanZ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi Johan

Not that you need it as I have seen you fly, but have you ever thought of putting a stabilizing flight control on your wing? Do you think it will make much difference or is just setting up your radio and mixes properly going to be just as good?
DanZ

Postby JohanMoelich » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:26 pm

It will definitely come in handy, and I've already bought an FY30 stabiliser exactly for this. I should have it fitted and ready for testing this weekend. The FY30 stabilisation can be switched on or off in flight through a spare channel, and can also take over and keep the plane flying straight and level if it detects a lack of signal to the servos.
It would have helped me when my OSD rebooted last weekend, to keep the plane flying level until the OSD completed it's 6 seconds of terror (also known as reboot :D )

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=539

JohanMoelich

Postby JohanMoelich » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Another good use for the FY30 is for windy conditions. It keeps you flying straight and level in windy conditions.
It can also be used as a controller for multicopters, with the correct firmware.
JohanMoelich

Postby GarethRens » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:42 pm

This thread and ESPECIALLY the top video has inspired me to buy a foamy and learn to fly fixed wing! :woot:
http://www.stuffinc.co.za
We sell all kinds of stuff, including multi-rotor UAV/Drones :ugeek:
GarethRens
Site Admin

Next

Return to Aircraft Platforms