• Advertisement

Search and Recover - the glider hunt

Discussions about upcoming events!

Re: Search and Rescue - the glider hunt

Postby JohanMoelich » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:05 am

The lost gliders are on the southern cliff facing the dam (roughly where your "table mountain" marker is). I know the roads there, as I often go slope soaring on Inanda mountain myself. If anyone want to join us and see what slope soaring is all about, let me know! Composite gliders can reach several hundred km/h when DS'ing (Dynamic Soaring). The current record is more than 600km/h last time I checked. They're potentially the fastest radio control aircraft.

Most of the gliders will be somewhere halfway up the cliff face, stuck in trees, is my guess. Not safely accessible if you don't have climbing gear, so the kids probably can't reach them. We will however talk to the locals down there in case they found some. It's worked before on other hills, where missing gliders turn up a few days later with someone eagerly looking for a reward :D That's why it's important to have your phone number and REWARD IF FOUND on all your planes or multirotors. It takes 5 minutes to do, but can save you thousands of Rands.
JohanMoelich

Re: Search and Recover - the glider hunt

Postby Reynier » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:23 pm

Did you Guys find any gliders or are all of you lost as well? Let us know and ad some more picks if you have any more. Sounds like a lot of fun. I think the single wing or wing glider> What the hell you call the glider with the wing onley? I think that with a motor and telimeatry and maybe a cam and feadback to gogles is also something interesting. Dit all the Quads come back that is what i will whant to know. Glad to se so many people into the hobby so close to mt house. I can almost see the dam from my house and I can see the Durban Beach or rather I can see the ships on the see on a lovely clear day.
Reynier

Re: Search and Recover - the glider hunt

Postby JohanMoelich » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi Reynier, we haven't done the actual search yet. Things like unscheduled landings :nugget: , bad weather and other events prevented us from doing the search. I am aiming to try again this Saturday though. Weather looks good and my quad is working and ready...
JohanMoelich

Previous

Return to Events