• Advertisement

Amateur aerial photograhpers wanted

Discussion about cameras, triggering circuits, image processing utilities and anything related to Aerial Photos

Amateur aerial photograhpers wanted

Postby scanman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Hello All,
We run a website called www.myriver.co.za it is a "how to" for canoeists to get down rapids. It has been going for about 2 years now and is gaining momentum. We need amateur photographers to photograph the river from their quad copters during races. We use this footage on our website to make "how To" articles.

The next race is the lowveld croc in Nelspruit next weekend (22 -23 sept.) http://www.lowveldcanoe.co.za/races/lowveld-croc

An important part of our website is an overview of the rapid from the air. Google earth only goes so far (see below).
What we really need is some footage from a quad copter of the river. It does'nt have to be high res or high altitude (Gopro stills or frame grabs from video and LOS is fine). If you live near any rivers that have canoe races on and can help us out with some footage, we can't pay you right now but can put your company logo on the website and in future if we get sponsors for that rapid we can give you a proportion of the income from that rapid every month your images are used.

We organise press passes from the race organisors for you so you can get to blocked off areas that the canoeists seconders cant get to.
We also need footage from the bank so if you have a still camera you can shoot a few frames of the rapid.

In future we would like follow-cam video footage of a canoeist going down the rapid (on the correct line), and that would require FPV, but for now we need aerial stills.

Check some of the images we took from a helicopter: http://www.myriver.co.za/index.php/hippo BAC Aviation gets the credits for that footage.

this is a google maps image, its not great:
http://www.myriver.co.za/index.php/the-maze
scanman

Re: Amateur aerial photograhpers wanted

Postby DanZ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Well, you can count me in :) When my quadcopter is fixed... I think I would be more suited to the follow/chase cam roll, for stills I think a very handy and necessary feature you would need is geo tagging.
DanZ

Postby scanman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:23 pm

:banana:

Plenty races coming up in the next few months on the dusi and umgeni.
There is definitely one long rapid we havent got any footage for called "confluence" which is about 2km long in an open river bed with channels between low plant that we need a follow cam. you could sit on the hill above to get good RF coverage. Stuart can paddle down and you can follow him, i can follow the quad in another canoe in case something happens or there is fishing line across the river, and it needs to be recovered!

Often, if there is a heavey rainfall we might take the opportunity and go into the valley for an hour or so quickly to shoot one rapid a few times to get the best shots.
scanman

Postby DanZ » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Guess I better finish the new quadcopter with camera stabilization then chop chop ;)
DanZ

Postby robone » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:37 pm

scanman wrote::banana:

Plenty races coming up in the next few months on the dusi and umgeni.
There is definitely one long rapid we havent got any footage for called "confluence" which is about 2km long in an open river bed with channels between low plant that we need a follow cam. you could sit on the hill above to get good RF coverage. Stuart can paddle down and you can follow him, i can follow the quad in another canoe in case something happens or there is fishing line across the river, and it needs to be recovered!

Often, if there is a heavey rainfall we might take the opportunity and go into the valley for an hour or so quickly to shoot one rapid a few times to get the best shots.

What you need is a YS-X6 Auto Pilot, and give the canoeist an android phone and the multirotor will then follow the canoeist. When he is through the rapids, all you do is take control with the Tx. That way, there is no chance of losing the view of the Canoeist and it will follow him all the way...well as long as the batteries last.

Rob
http://www.multirotor.co.za
| 3DRobotics | ZeroUAV | RC Tiger Motors | Vulcan SkyHook Airframes |
robone

Postby JohanMoelich » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:57 pm

This sounds like fun! Once my quad is up and going, I'll help where I can. If an FPV plane will be of any use here, I can fly that as well. I'm always looking for a new FPV mission :cool:
JohanMoelich

Postby scanman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:01 am

Yes Johan, your footage of the inanda dam wall is the kind of thing we need, we just need it of the river section below that . A couple of higher altitude plane of fly-through videos of that section and the confluence section would be so impressive.
scanman

Postby Gary Mortimer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:47 pm

You could always create an entire route in photosynth, there are other methods available now as well.

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=108 ... fd9d60785d That's a 15km stretch of river quite a bit of work though.
Gary Mortimer

Return to Photography