• Advertisement

Aerial Photography for a beginner

Discussion about cameras, triggering circuits, image processing utilities and anything related to Aerial Photos

Aerial Photography for a beginner

Postby DanZ » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:24 pm

I keep getting asked if I can do aerial photography whenever people see my multirotors. I'm a complete hobbyist, I have always intended on simply having fun flying them, both LOS and recently FPV. But I also like a challenge and love building mulitrotors, so I am considering accepting the challenge.

Aerial photography is appealing and I am sure  will be a fun experience, I've been involved in mulitrotors long enough to know I could never really do anything proffesional as both the camera equipment and airframes/gimblas are out of my league when it comes to that sort of level. But to satisfy some friends/family with some simple aerial shots it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive? Or am I day dreaming? :P

I own an abundance of components that I could utilize to put a suitable frame togther (I made a post under the airframe forum about a Y6). And as far as camera equipment goes I have a Canon S90 digital camera. What I would like to know from the more seasoned professionals in this field is what is absolutely necessary when it comes to both the setup of the AP platform as well as camera equipment as well as any additional advice?

I think the most difficult or complicated thing I might battle with is having some sort of remote shutter for my S90...

Dan

DanZ

Re: Aerial Photography for a beginner

Postby robone » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi Dan

I am not the greatest aerial Photographer around, but, not a bad photographer :) , however, I have spent a lot of time looking at different systems. This is one of the reasons I got into Multirotors in the 1st place.

I eventually landed up with the Canon G12, which was slightly heavier than I liked, and which I bought because you can use a wireless remote to trigger and also you could see what you are viewing. After I bought it I found out that if I had just got a G10/11 or the S90 and used chdk to rewrite the firmware it would then have had an intervalometer which is good enough. The GoPro also takes good pics and you can hook it up to your FPV equipment. Set it to take pics at whatever interval you need, and you don't have to worry about when to trigger it. Because trying to press the trigger and take pics, and fly at the same time is not easy.

What does help is getting a system that provides you with position and altitude hold.

Cheers
Rob
http://www.multirotor.co.za
| 3DRobotics | ZeroUAV | RC Tiger Motors | Vulcan SkyHook Airframes |
robone

Postby DanZ » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply. I skimmed through a thread on the re-writing the CHDK for my S90 this morning, I'll have another look at it this evening. While on the topic of camera's I see Canon is releasing a mirror less camera to compete with the Sony NEX and Co, that should make a nice light camera for AP.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/23 ... on-preview

As for the GoPro, I have taken a number of pics with that from my copter already. And I am perfectly happy with the quality because I as I said I don't intend on doing anything professional. However I just know someone down the line will question the fish-eye... Hence why I wouldn't mind getting my S90 up in the air too.

As for flight controllers, I can see the advantage of position and altitude hold, but I'll start off with one of my 6dof or 9dof flight controllers and simply curse when a breeze pushes me away from where I want to be lol.

Are you using a gimbal Rob?
DanZ

Postby robone » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:11 pm

I have the Gopro Hero 2 which has the 170° & 127° & 90° FOV

I am not using a Gimble at the moment as I am taking videos most of the time and it is fixed directly to frame, upside down. I do have some Jello effect even with the good MT motors and balanced props, but I am still in the learning how to edit phase :) so that is where my focus is at the moment and also trying to get familiar with the FPV equipment.

I did have my G12 on a Gimble, but used it in a fix position, mainly because I never had enough hands to adjust everything, however, it was protected from vibrations quite a lot.
http://www.multirotor.co.za
| 3DRobotics | ZeroUAV | RC Tiger Motors | Vulcan SkyHook Airframes |
robone

Return to Photography