• Advertisement

4cell Lipo to Fatshark anyone? How?

Discussions about First Person View flying

4cell Lipo to Fatshark anyone? How?

Postby Eveready » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi Guys,
I would like to believe i've improved the setup of my DJI f450 and my skills enough to try that Fatshark FPV system i bought a while back.
The only problem i have now is that my Quad is using a 4cell lipo (14.8volts) and the Fatshark system allows for 2cell or 3cell use only.

Anybody have any ideas, or have made a plan to get these to work together?
The Fatshark tx has built in plugs for 2cell or 3cell, somebody mentioned that if i use the earth and the third wire i will get an output of 11.1v.
Should i modify the plugs or is there another way??

Itching to be FPV in the air..
DJI F450 Gps Fatshark FPV Soon GoPro3
Eveready

Re: 4cell Lipo to Fatshark anyone? How?

Postby robone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Get yourself a UBEC this will convert the voltage down to 6V which you can then use. Make sure that the UBEC takes 4S. A lot of them do.
http://www.multirotor.co.za
| 3DRobotics | ZeroUAV | RC Tiger Motors | Vulcan SkyHook Airframes |
robone

Postby Eveready » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks,
but is that the only way to get this to work, I'm not really that keen to add more wires, weight and clutter to the airframe? gonna start running out of space very soon..
Any other ideas??
Eveready

Postby DanZ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:33 pm

My copter ran off a 4s battery and I powered my Vtx via the TBS (Team Black Sheep) Core PSU, which has the option to regulate to either 5v or 12v. It is a nice piece of kit but it is expensive... $80.

As Rob mentioned your best bet would be a UBEC to regulate the voltage down for you, one of the better ones to use for FPV use is this one: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_15&products_id=124
It has a lower RF noise.

The method you mention of powering the Vtx, are you referring to the balance lead of the battery? I have heard of people doing this but I couldn't recommend it in my opinion. Only because I wouldn't want to tap off 2 or 3 cells on your Lipo to power your Vtx, I'm sure it will result in poorly balanced cells over time. I could be wrong though.
DanZ

Postby Eveready » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks for the input Guys,
was thinking to get a 4cell female balancing plug to plug into lipo and then on the other side put a 2cell male plug to plug directly into the fatshark tx, Obviously running only two red wires and one black wire to get 7.2v, or 3 reds and one black to get 11.1v.
Would it make sense to run the Fatshark on 11.1v to get better performance rather then 7.2v. or would that be waisting my time?
If i ran it on only 2 of the 4cells i could possibly alternate between which cells i use on the balancer plug to curb 2 cells always taking more strain powering the fatshark and the Quad..
I might be getting a bit ahead of myself here so any input is appreciated..
Eveready

Postby GarethRens » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:27 pm

An LM7812 voltage regulator IC. Available from any electronics component supplier or scavenge from an electronic device.
The chip is 10mm x 15mm.

You just wire it between the lipo and your goggles.

Ill post a simple circuit diagram if you like :)

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.stuffinc.co.za
We sell all kinds of stuff, including multi-rotor UAV/Drones :ugeek:
GarethRens
Site Admin

Return to FPV