• Advertisement

goggles? lcd? viewing options

Discussions about First Person View flying

Re: goggles? lcd? viewing options

Postby JohanMoelich » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:58 am

You will at one time or another get complete static in your video. It might be for a second or two, but it happens to everyone. You learn to fly through it without panicking, although the first time you need to have a spare set of underwear handy :D
If your goggles go to blue-screen, you will totally crap your pants because your video feed won't come back. Even if you manage to switch it off and on again, 5 seconds without video feels like an eternity!

My opinion is, if you buy goggles buy a decent set which is suitable for FPV. It's better to invest in a decent set, than to replace them again later with proper goggles.
If you do go cheap now and buy decent goggles later, you can still use the cheapies for passenger goggles. But you will be taking a risk flying with them if they tend to blue-screen. You have to decide if you want to risk all your other FPV equipment or not.
JohanMoelich

Postby GTiDon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:06 am

Its funny how people think blue screen is a cheap goggle fault...

Fat sharks for example are just even cheaper goggles without blue screen/or disabled function taken by a middle man and rebranded and fitted with a mask and extras etc.

There has been no actual goggles manufactured for FPV

As for near sightedness as I am its been unclear if you need the diopter lenses for near or far sighted people, then switching between glasses and goggles would not work very well. This is why I prefer a screen.
Then I came accross a very simple solution which I didnt think of.. Contact lenses..
GTiDon

Postby DanZ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:06 pm

The diopter lens kit worked for me. Prior to that I was using contact lenses, but I don't really enjoy wearing them.

I would love this pair of goggles :D

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... o-the-game
DanZ

Postby JohanMoelich » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:06 pm

GTiDon wrote:Its funny how people think blue screen is a cheap goggle fault...

Fat sharks for example are just even cheaper goggles without blue screen/or disabled function taken by a middle man and rebranded and fitted with a mask and extras etc.

There has been no actual goggles manufactured for FPV

As for near sightedness as I am its been unclear if you need the diopter lenses for near or far sighted people, then switching between glasses and goggles would not work very well. This is why I prefer a screen.
Then I came accross a very simple solution which I didnt think of.. Contact lenses..

Are you sure the Fatshark goggles are just cheaper goggles rebranded? They have connectors and spaces made for the headtracker and video receiver modules, which I don't think come standard with goggles for other purposes such as gaming or watching videos. Maybe the actual lens unit is the same as other goggles, but the rest of the goggles are purpose-made for FPV (is my opinion).
JohanMoelich

Postby GTiDon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:57 pm

and fitted with a mask and extras etc.
GTiDon

Postby JohanMoelich » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:25 pm

The circuit boards of the Fatshark Dominator has the following integrated in the original design, which are FPV-specific features:
- channel buttons
- headtracker button
- connector for headtracker module
- connector for video rx

These goggles have been designed with these FPV features built in already. It would be next to impossible to take an existing goggle design, integrate these items the way they are now, and get the Dominator as a result.

JohanMoelich

Postby scanman » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:06 pm

that solder job looks a bit shoddy.
scanman

Postby PaulB » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 am

Risk nothing "RTL" ,with expensive equipment you need the features.
PaulB

Postby EtienneP » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 pm

I like to use the Fatshark Teleporter V3, got it for R3800 for everything. Love it! Tried lcd but always had problems with it.
Cheapest Online Shop in South Africa for all your Multirotor needs! Visit http://www.SAmultirotorShop.com Today!
EtienneP

Previous

Return to FPV