• Advertisement

IMPORTANT LEGAL FREQUENCIES 4 ANY1 BUYING VID. TRANSMITTERS!

Discussions about First Person View flying

Re: IMPORTANT LEGAL FREQUENCIES 4 ANY1 BUYING VID. TRANSMITT

Postby scanman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:20 am

i have asked a friend to comment on the legal power output because he knows about the frequency ranges , we use them in our RFID asset tagging and scanning equipment and i know for a fact that every transmitter in a certain frequency range needs ICASA certification (look under your Wifi network device at home there should be an ICASA sticker). The supporting equipment doesnt need the approval, just the transmitter part of the equipment, so if your fat sharks dont have the sticker then they are "illegal".
Importers can get icasa certification but it costs about R80k for all the tests.
So youre probably illegal anyway, just on that imported equipment your using, regardless of the power!

I know if you go over a certain power level, no matter what the frequency, you need another site licence which you individually apply for, in the area youre going to use it, so Johan youre not going to get one for the whole of umhlanga, sorry!
scanman

Postby GarethRens » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:54 am

I truly wouldnt worry too much about the whole legality of radio transmissions of any kind. Our government cant even police the real criminals, let alone us transmitter "criminals"

I spoke to a reprasentative from the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) at the beginning of last year about the whole UAV/Drone thing for aerial photography.
He told me that according to the current laws there are none governing drones, so he said flying a kite in your back-yard is technically illegal. :hmmm:

I dont think Iv ever seen a kid arrested on the beach for flying a kite. Just because theres no law for it, doesnt make it illegal IMO.

As long as everyone excersices caution and flies safely with everyones well-being in mind, we will all be fine. Theres currently no spotlight on us.

All we need for the shit to hit the fan, is some dumbass pilot flying into a group of kids or government official. Then we gots problems! :nugget:
Keep everything on the down low and dont crash into anything or anyone that looks expensive ;)

G
http://www.stuffinc.co.za
We sell all kinds of stuff, including multi-rotor UAV/Drones :ugeek:
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby JohanMoelich » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:08 am

As long as everyone excersices caution and flies safely with everyones well-being in mind

That's the important bit there. Use common sense and don't do anything you won't do in front of the cops/CAA :angel:
JohanMoelich

Postby scanman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:39 am

so do we put our names and phone numbers on our quads with the offer of "return for a reward " or do we stay anonymous , wipe down all fingerprints, and run like crazy if it crashes!
I crashed on my neighbours roof, it was a good way to meet them, however walking on their roof was risky, it was so rotten i thought i would fall through.
YouTube

just spoke to my friend, he says anything and everything that transmits at any frequency needs an icasa certification, even your gate opener, however the importers will have an icasa "type licence" for the actual transmitter inside, plus if its the same type as an existing certified one you dont need to go through all the expensive tests, it only costs a few grand for the type licence.

He is getting back to me on the maximum power, you are not allowed over that power and you cant get a site licence to go over that power.
scanman

Postby JohanMoelich » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:04 am

I just read on the AVCom forum where someone stated if you import less than 5 units a year for personal use, you don't need to have it ICASA certified. However, it still needs to comply with their regulations. The discussion is about 2.4GHz but I would expect the same to apply for other frequencies.

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... =0#p865103
JohanMoelich

Postby JohanMoelich » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:28 am

I'll ask my uncle about the frequencies and regulations. He's been heavily involved with amateur radio for many years and probably know more than the average ICASA employee :rasp:
JohanMoelich

Postby scanman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:35 am

thanks johan, looks like 100mW is the power limit. they discuss it in this forum:

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 73#p786328

so the most basic 200mW fpv kit is illegal.( I wont tell anyone if you dont!)

To put it in perspective, we probably break more traffic laws driving to fly than actually flying.

Also from that forum, check out the SAMAA blog : http://samodelair.blogspot.com/2010/09/ ... stems.html
and read "Piets" comments below,
"Measuring the power output of transmitters operating above 1000 MHz (1GHz) accurately is very difficult but measuring the ERP of any handheld transmitter accurately is imposable. At best it would be a calculated guess, not something that would stand up in court. Very few type approved 2.4 GHz transmitters will have an output of exactly 100 milliwatt and because the manufacturer would rather err in favour of their customer most would have an output of more than 100 milliwatt. But ERP is not only determent by power output but also by antenna efficiency."

So you could take the stickers that indicate the power rating off your kit and no one will be the wiser. Boaters do this: you dont need a skippers licence for a boat under 15HP and 4m so they put a "15" sticker on their "40" HP motor and go skiing without a skippers ticket. People are amazaed that you can slalom behind a15HP but the aouthorities have no real way of testing the output.
scanman

Postby JohanMoelich » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:51 am

scanman wrote:So you could take the stickers that indicate the power rating off your kit and no one will be the wiser.

You forgot to say "hypothetically" and "allegedly". We wouldn't do things like that... :angel:

It's true what you say about traffic laws. Most of us break the law every day in traffic (allegedly :D ). Because almost everyone does it, people tend to not make a big thing out of it. Because FPV is not an everyday thing, people make a big scene about the risk, safety and legal aspects of it. There's a much bigger risk in someone flying a huge petrol plane past the runway at a flying club, than an FPV foamie or quadcopter flying away from spectators in a much more controlled environment (it IS easier flying FPV than LOS).
JohanMoelich

Postby DanZ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Time to pull my "600mw" stickers off my transmitter then... :P
DanZ

Postby GarethRens » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Also gonna have to take the beepmW beepMHz stickers off the DJI datalink!
http://www.stuffinc.co.za
We sell all kinds of stuff, including multi-rotor UAV/Drones :ugeek:
GarethRens
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to FPV