• Advertisement

Bringing a Drone to SA

Discussions about anything and everything UAV / Drone related.

Bringing a Drone to SA

Postby hrcheek » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:16 pm

Hello All,

I will try to make this as short as I can. I have travelled to SA many times for work and pleasure and I will be traveling there again in February for work. I will be working inconjunction with a construction company based in the Cape on a few demo projects in Cape Town where we applying a new product to the roadways.

I would like to bring my phantom 2 along with me so that I can video and photograph the demo projects. Does anyone have any experience with bringing a drone in through customs and then flying back out of SA with a drone. I have never flown with my drone even domestically in the US so I am starting from scratch when it comes to this. I will be flying Delta to and from SA and SAA while in SA. I would prefer to bring my drone on as carry on.

Any advice is well appreciated.

Cheers,

Randolph
hrcheek

Re: Bringing a Drone to SA

Postby elmato » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:10 pm

I'm interested in this too as I plan to bring 2 quads over in the near future.

I am told flying with LIPO batteries is difficult as they are classified as dangerous goods, so you may want to leave those at home.
elmato

Re: Bringing a Drone to SA

Postby Gamma » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:03 pm

As far as I know. If the drone is secured in a box you can take it on as carry one.

The LiPo batteries are something else. If i remember correctly you need to have them sealed and stored in a bag and check them in. But I might be wrong.

SA customs are quite retarded to be honest. So you might get everything just fine, or they might be very anal about it.
Beerlifting? Students, beer and multirotors... What can go wrong?
www.ptawug.co.za
Gamma

Return to General Discussions