• Advertisement

Rules and regulations for UAV

Discussions about anything and everything UAV / Drone related.

Re: Rules and regulations for UAV

Postby robone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:44 pm

I would like to know where this is going to go. They say they are not in a rush to implement and regulations. Somehow I wish we were in Australia where you know exactly what you can or cant do.
http://www.multirotor.co.za
| 3DRobotics | ZeroUAV | RC Tiger Motors | Vulcan SkyHook Airframes |
robone

Postby Gamma » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Hmm interesting read...

* Scratches out phone number on quad*

On another note, I asked someone I know working in military/weapons development in SA, specifically drones, unmanned vehicles, He said that there are some rules, but this is SA, who is going to follow them :|

It will be a dark day when we have to register to fly our multirotors...

But I would watch this space in the next 2-3 years, multirotors might change some laws and other stuff due to their high use these days.
Beerlifting? Students, beer and multirotors... What can go wrong?
www.ptawug.co.za
Gamma

Postby Yuliya » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Good day everybody.First-Sorry about my english-In Ukrainian,SA citizen.I have a BIG problem,my neighbour 2 month already flying-testing his multi rotor remote controlled helicopter(drone) in residential aria where I live.You can read my story in local newspaper Kimberley DFA August 8, 2013. And His reply DFA August 12, 2013. I strongly suspect that he have camera as well ,I dnot have my privacy anymore,He said that hi did not do anything illeagal and Im paranoid(his words in newspaper) and he will continue as he pleased.I contact members of Kimberly model club-Chairperson and member of club said that that illiagal,but most probably Mr.McGregor is not a member of SAMAA.SO-if he is not member he can do what he pleased??? Please,please,please! HELP ME !!! can You show me ruls and regylations that I can take to newspaper and confrant this man, he invade my privacy,he mislead public and people who buing in his model shop.I would very appriciate YOUR respond.THANK YOU! my Email. yuliyavegele@gmail.com
Yuliya

Postby RhysM » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:27 pm

you know, my first initial concern that comes into play with UAV's is the following: as a fixed wing pilot, you are required to land with a certain percentage of fuel as a reserve. When assessing the size of the aircraft required to either support enough batteries or SAFELY contain several liters of fuel - the issue clearly becomes one of safety and culpability. UAV's of size should ideally additionally be equipped with a transponder allowing air-traffic control to safely manage the traffic around it.
RhysM

Postby zenith » Fri May 16, 2014 11:38 am

Here is the specific Act on Model Aircraft

PDF:
http://www.caa.co.za/SiteAssets/Lists/Legal%20Notices/EditForm/CIVIL_AVIATION_REGULATIONS-2011.pdf

web:
http://209.203.9.244/lexisnexis/lnb.asp?/jilc/ubxe/jicrc/evc8c/kvc8c#4e

CAR Act 94.06.11

Operation of model aircraft
94.06.11 Model aircraft are exempted from these regulations—
(a) except from regulation 94.05.1; and
(b) provided that no model aircraft shall be flown—
(i) higher than 150 feet above the surface; or
(ii) from or above a public road,
unless with the prior approval of the Director and on conditions determined by him or her; or in airspace specifically approved for the purpose by the Director and on conditions set by him or her for the use of such airspace.

Conditions for flight

94.05.1 (1) Unless granted permission by the Director or the organisation designated for the purpose in terms of part 149, as the case may be, on a case-by-case basis, a non-type certificated aircraft may not be flown—
(a) by night;
(b) in meteorological conditions less than those prescribed as suitable for flight under VFR;
(c) within controlled airspace, unless cleared by and on conditions prescribed by ATC; or
(d) within 5 NM from the aerodrome reference point of an aerodrome, licensed or approved in terms of part 139 of these regulations and situated in Class G airspace, unless established unmanned aerodrome procedures for the particular aerodrome can be adhered to; or
(e) unless unavoidable, over built up areas and open-air assemblies of persons except for the purpose of take-off, transit and landing.
zenith

Postby Dirtdiver » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi guys

Can anyone tell me what the regulations regarding flying drones in SA are at the moment?

I
Dirtdiver

Previous

Return to General Discussions