• Advertisement

New Aerial businesses

Discussions about anything and everything UAV / Drone related.

Re: New Aerial businesses

Postby NiveK » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:15 pm

Would like to comment on the amount of Aerial Photography companies opening as well except im coming from a professional cinematographer point of view. We have exactly the same problem in the film industry as everyone and his dog can operate a camera and has access to full HD quality cameras these days. Yet we still get constant work flowing through the doors.. thats because we have the skills an amateur doesn't..

without a showreel to show how you perform a person would be mad to hire you as an aerial photographer, I know i definitely wouldn't. I myself am attempting to learn multirotor drones for film work and having too many regulations would really put a hamper on my ideas..

Sometimes its not always about how much of a pro pilot you are but how good your cinematography skills are. Often see companies starting a aerial filming company with little to no knowledge about actual filming or what an amazing shot comprises of, yet they can fly a drone.. this doesn't make them any more qualified to open a business in my books. You need to have a vast knowledge of both crafts to truly make it in the AP business in my mind.
NiveK

Postby scanman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:24 pm

100% . I would expect that a combination of the cinematographer directing the UAV pilot would be the best, one focussing on flying ,the other on composing the shot.
The UAV pilot then becomes just like a helicopter pilot, and i am sure you have your favouite helicopter pilots, there will be some that wont be good at piloting for photography.
scanman

Postby NiveK » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Well im receiving my first quad as a prototype test unit end of the month, already have the flysky 9x for it, so hopefully in the not too distant future I can combine the two skills and see what we get.. wanting to test out the new gopro 3 on it before moving to a serious octo/cinema cam unit.
NiveK

Postby scanman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:03 am

test out a 5 ounce sinker before you mount your gopro 3, sinkers are a bit cheaper!
scanman

Postby With » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Also some of us like to do it because we think we can :idea:

Thus , if someone here in my area needs something like this (Video, Photos) , I can say , "hey I do this part time" Give me a go ...! Not that I'm there yet , but soon enough ...

Keep in mind , U ALL STARTED SOMEWHERE .. :baby:

I like the Idea of accreditation ...but my choice,to do so or not.
With

Postby SteadiDrone » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:16 pm

Ideally you'd want a pilot who is also a director ;)
dR34m, d0 !t, n0W.

www.steadidrone.com
SteadiDrone

Postby NiveK » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Lol of course the pilot being a director is a big plus as well.. both should have a clear understanding of what makes a great cinematic shot.. I've seen far too many reels where the quad sits in one spot trying to hover steadily whilst recording.. thats what jibs etc are used for.. it should all be fast quick and intense movements, for intense flying straight at a tree line then lifting quickly to reveal an entire forest.. these little drones can be amazing story telling units if the right people are put behind the controls. Just hope I am capable of flying one efficiently as I want to. Been good so far with anything RC I have laid my hands on so will wait and see.
NiveK

Postby scanman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:59 pm

keep those tips coming NiveK! i'm learning as your type!
scanman

Postby PaulB » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:05 pm

With wrote:Also some of us like to do it because we think we can :idea:

Thus , if someone here in my area needs something like this (Video, Photos) , I can say , "hey I do this part time" Give me a go ...! Not that I'm there yet , but soon enough ...

Keep in mind , U ALL STARTED SOMEWHERE .. :baby:

I like the Idea of accreditation ...but my choice,to do so or not.

+1
Nobody owns this Hobby , :rasp:
something I had to tell myself to stay interested.
PaulB

Postby topview » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:07 am

R8000 per day is reasonable, and no he cant hire a helicopter for R8000 to get his shots, been in the business a long time now, you need to remember the costs involved in taking pics are small but the risks to equipment is high, the big advantage with Radio controlled equipment is the ability to fly very low, the result is you can get away with very short focal length lenses, a helicopter is very wobbly, added to that you need to zoom which means a larger focal length on the lens which in turn exagerates the movement, try taking a steady vidoe of a multirotor flying you will see its difficult to get a steady video, sitting in a heli is like driving in a car and filming. The going rate for using remote controlled helis is in the region of R2000 per flight, on a robbinson r44 i believe one rotation costs in the region of R3400 minimum, so sit in it start it and shut it down, cost R3400, if you fly then its more, maybe there is someone on this forum with a little more insight regarding the costs of flying a helicopter, maybe even a pilot. will be very interresting to hear their thoughts and figures regarding costs.
topview

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions