• Advertisement

New Aerial businesses

Discussions about anything and everything UAV / Drone related.

Re: New Aerial businesses

Postby hennisdk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:05 pm

tumad wrote:I agree, lets just get on with it then and do some work.. lol

Ah ha, now that sounds like a plan. 8-)
hennisdk

Postby SteadiDrone » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Well as i said before, the best guys will get the work, "may the best man win" :)
dR34m, d0 !t, n0W.

www.steadidrone.com
SteadiDrone

Postby hennisdk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:20 pm

SteadiDrone wrote:Well as i said before, the best guys will get the work, "may the best man win" :)

I have checked out your websites, I am really really impressed by the work you guys, you have my greatest respect.

Gonna be in Capetown November would love to come check your "shop".

Hennis
hennisdk

Postby SteadiDrone » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks Hennis, apreciate that.

We are actually based in Knysna, but travel to JHB and CPT a lot, will be in CT again next week wednesday for a day of Demo's for film companies.
dR34m, d0 !t, n0W.

www.steadidrone.com
SteadiDrone

Postby HermanB » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi Gentlemen

First off, new member here and new to multirotors. Very nice to see such a great local community. Looking forward to participating with you all.

Regarding this topic I agree with many points raised. I am a photographer specializing in architecture and interiors and am now investigating in multirotors for AP as a add-on service. The cost of shooting from a proper heli is in most cases too cost prohibitive for many businesses. Modern day multirotors is a game changer, and many more guys will as a result be entering this field - some will thrive and some will fail. It is after-all what competition is all about. Just owning the technology - whether it be high end cameras or multirotor drones is no guarantee for success. It is the final result that matters. If your clients are happy they will keep on coming back.

My biggest concern in all of this is safety for those around you and property around you. It is in this aspect that I welcome rules and legislation.

What are the current official rules from CAA regarding commercial use of UAV's? Is it legal? I know in AUS and USA there are stringent laws and licenses required.

TheBetterPixel... I see you are selling your business...why have you chosen to leave?

Thanks guys!
HermanB

Postby robone » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Double Post
Last edited by robone on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.multirotor.co.za
| 3DRobotics | ZeroUAV | RC Tiger Motors | Vulcan SkyHook Airframes |
robone

Postby robone » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:56 pm

The status of any rules and regulations can be found here

http://www.sadrones.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=644
http://www.multirotor.co.za
| 3DRobotics | ZeroUAV | RC Tiger Motors | Vulcan SkyHook Airframes |
robone

Postby HermanB » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:45 pm

robone wrote:The status of any rules and regulations can be found here

http://www.sadrones.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=644

Thanks Rob!
HermanB

Postby topview » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:50 pm

Saama, South african model aircraft association, i have been a member now for about 22 years, believe me if they havent already and when they do legislation will fall under their portfolio, It will be quick and simple no flying anywhere near public areas and ONLY at their designated flying spots. To start setting up accreditation centres to get pilots accredited will be overrun by SAAMA, so to carry on enjoying the flying freedom we do now its best to just carry on quietly and responsibly so as not to get the attention of saama, thats if they havent already put controlls in place, I have been doing aerial photography with gas helicopters for a number of years and just keep quiet about my activities, multirotors are relatively safe compared to the 1.8 m carbonfiber blades of a gas heli which is why i have just purchased one. But one thing is for sure our flying freedom isnt going to last forever so we must enjoy it while we can.
topview

Postby scanman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:03 pm

sounds good to have an accreditation, i would definitely apply, however in my opinion it should be optional, to allow you to charge professional fees. there will still be the people who want it cheap (plenty of those around) and don't care if you have a) training, b) decent equipment c)3rd party insurance d) equipment insurance e) the camera equipment good enough to provide the image quality needed f) knowlege of the subject being filmed. so the accreditation should provide some kind of quality guarantee.

I took some aerial shots of a canoe race on the weekend for our website www.myriver.co.za. (i only take shots for my own purposes, and its the only reason i got into this hobby). For our purposes the images are fantastic and add a new dimension to our site where we have been struggling with google maps images for 2 years. But they are nowhere near tv quality.

While there, i met a tv-producer i know who does a lot of water based filming, and he was keen to get my aerial footage. I told him he should hire quad copter pilots. he said the guys were exhorbitant , wanting to charge him R8000 per day or part thereof, he says he can hire a helicopter and get the footage he needs for that, he doesnt even earn that.

So unfortunately we are already seen as an expensive resource, especially when we are not offering all of a) b) ...e) above.
If we were to offer a) b) ...e) and pay for accreditation, trainining and "safety equipment" how much more would be need to charge?
scanman

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions