• Advertisement

New Aerial businesses

Discussions about anything and everything UAV / Drone related.

New Aerial businesses

Postby TheBetterPixel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:08 pm

It seems that with the introduction and availability of these fantastic camera carrying devices, new businesses offering aerial services are popping up faster than a teenagers with bad acne.
It is often, and I hate to admit it, the identical situation as with Pick and Pay photographers that buy their first DSLR and are now 'professional photographers'.
It is not just a matter of buying a RTF Drone and slapping a camera onto it, and personally I have been in this industry basically from the beginning which was about 2-3 years ago when these machines started rearing their heads.
It takes many hours and dedication to streamline your work process, equipment, 2nd operators and whatever else might be required before you can become a viable commercial supplier of aerial media.
As is usual in any industry, the normal undercutting and value adds will be the norm and time will tell who is who and what is what.

One might want to think of setting up a board with standards in equipment and pilot proficiency before this becomes a dangerous situation.

Happy flying.. :)
Photography and video both ground and air based in Krugerdorp serving South Africa - http://www.thebetterpixel.co.za
TheBetterPixel

Re: New Aerial businesses

Postby GarethRens » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:23 pm

I had thoughts about the whole certification/regulation board.

Its definitely doable. Where do we start though. Aerial photography or Drones in general?

Then one needs an education, pilot licence and certification system for Drones.
I personally think the whole completely autonomous arena is a can of worms.

A board that educates, tests and licences pilots to fly mult-rotors would be simpler. And "almost" easy to setup.

Theres one thing for sure, I dont mind being on the board, but im DEFINITELY not dealing with the CAA.
Ill end up going postal and burn it down...
http://www.stuffinc.co.za
We sell all kinds of stuff, including multi-rotor UAV/Drones :ugeek:
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby SteadiDrone » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Hey guys, intersting chat.

As we are focusing on the film/production industry with our drones, we are in the process of settin up agencies in Cape Town and UK/Europe with big film companies that will be able to offer full training and a form of 'acreditation' which as you said is a good idea. I've been thinking about it for months now and we are busy working on something like it, similar to photogrpahy again, you have the PPSA, which I am a member of, and is the only long standing profesional photographer assosiasion in SA, which helps a great deal with clients knowig, as Tumad said, who is who and what is what. It's really somehthing needed to put a gap between the real pros and the average guy whos built his first quad last week.

At the end of the day, it's about making money and the best guys will make it and last, and the rest just won't feature.

any ideas or thoughts on an 'acreditation' system ? What would you guys like to see it be ? Would you join ? What should a pilot be able to show to 'ern' his credit etc etc ?
dR34m, d0 !t, n0W.

www.steadidrone.com
SteadiDrone

Postby DanZ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Well I think you guys laid down the bench mark by flipping your octo just for fun... :mrgreen:
DanZ

Postby SteadiDrone » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:36 pm

HAHA, will soon do another flip with a fully rigger octo, gimbal, camera and all :) hehe
dR34m, d0 !t, n0W.

www.steadidrone.com
SteadiDrone

Postby robone » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:36 pm

I wonder how many AP businesses there would be around today if everyone of them had to pass an exam to get into the business. I agree with Duran " At the end of the day, it's about making money and the best guys will make it and last, and the rest just won't feature. "

If I was a paying customer, I would want to see accreditation or a good portfolio, but lets not legislate this please.

What concerns me more is the shear disregard for safety. You see multirotors flying around kids and over people and most using hobby based Flight Controllers. I have tested a number of FC's over the last few years and most of them a extremely dangerous, especially in the wrong hands.

Rob
http://www.multirotor.co.za
| 3DRobotics | ZeroUAV | RC Tiger Motors | Vulcan SkyHook Airframes |
robone

Postby TheBetterPixel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm not sure if this will ever get off the ground, just like not being part of PPSA does not stop togs from doing bad business. However, here are some thoughts:
Airworthiness:
Frame, motor, soldering, mechanical structures, fasteners, battery mounts, Propeller mounts, motor mounts, Safety features etc etc, should all be to a minimum standard. whatever that might be, will be difficult to ascertain, as there are so many variables, and what, and by who's standard is something deemed 'minimal quality'.

Piloting: Different levels of accomplishment can be issued varying degrees of proficiency.
Fly a circuit with standard direction to pilot.
Fly a circuit with nose in to the pilot
Fly a circuit with craft facing West
Fly a circuit with craft facing East
Fly an altitude circuit

GPS if installed:
Fly to a point and test functionality of PH
Fly to a point and test functionality of RTH
Fly to a point and test functionality of fail safe if installed.

As I say, who is going to control this and or implement..
Photography and video both ground and air based in Krugerdorp serving South Africa - http://www.thebetterpixel.co.za
TheBetterPixel

Postby SteadiDrone » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Some good and valid points there, as to who will actually control or implement this, that's anothr story, I think a good start is for us to create a local SA 'assosiaction' or at least a group of pilots that are all above a cetrain minim 'level' for commercial work. This is what we are busy working on and any input helps, it might not happen at all, but it's something that all of us could really do with.
dR34m, d0 !t, n0W.

www.steadidrone.com
SteadiDrone

Postby hennisdk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:44 pm

I can agree somewhat with everything. But if this is going be too limited, no one would be able to start-off.

I am considering (look into) the possibility to start something in the North-West. And yes safety should always be number 1, quality equipment a must.

But how do you define quality equipment? Price? Company?

I can really see the DJI stuff as quality, its proven. But I would never assume that there wont be any faults.

I follow some of the guys that use the Cinestar brand, and even those VERY VERY expensive equipment fails.

I would say the DJI stuff (including Naza with GPS) and frames are a good starting point to start such a business and affordable.

Regulating this market and even the drone market for that matter is going to leave a bitter taste. In the US these things have already shaken the hornets nest.

Hennis
hennisdk

Postby TheBetterPixel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:03 pm

I agree, lets just get on with it then and do some work.. lol
TheBetterPixel

Next

Return to General Discussions