• Advertisement

New Aerial businesses

Discussions about anything and everything UAV / Drone related.

Re: New Aerial businesses

Postby SteadiDrone » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:58 am

With the TV shows and other productions we've done oevr the last few years we've shot from heli's a lot, and yes they do cost A LOT. If a production company tells you it's cheaper than R 20 000 a day to hire a heli, it's a lie, even the smallest heli (R22) costs far more than R 20 000 a day to run (8 hours give or take) I personally don't like R22 or even R44 and usualy go up in a Eurocopter 120, which is a smallish 5 seater with 3 blades (smoother than 2 bladed helis) and it's around R 10 000 an hr to fly. Then you look at something bigger like the Huey style Bell 407 (bigger brother than the US Heuy used in vietnam (twin turbine and 4 rotors compared to the Heuy which has single engine and 2 blades) We recently spent about 5 or 6 hours in the Bell 407 above the Snowy Leshoto mountains shooting video (AMAZING!!) and I don't even want to know what that cost, but shold have been well over R 200 000.

In terms of shooting out a heli, thats even harder than spending the cashto go up. To do it properly you need some form of stabiliztion, Kenko Gyro or somthng if your shooting video, obviously CineFlex is your best option, but again costs ALOT. Shooting still not a big deal as you just up your shutterspeed a bit.

Now RC drones and even fixed wings, AMAZING what can be done as we all know. Just don't charge TO LITTLE! We spend thousands of hours testing, houndreds of thousands on gear, a very unique and skilled operation so don't under quote guys. Anyone willing to share your day rates and what you include ?

We have a few different drones obviously and thus charge a rental rate for each drone, and then a pilot rate and camera operator rate, roughly for a film/tvc we charge R 20 000/day.

You guys ?
dR34m, d0 !t, n0W.

www.steadidrone.com
SteadiDrone

Postby oliver » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Let's just fly, eventually the guys who take shortcuts will be weeded out of the field. Not everything has to be regulated.
oliver

Postby Eveready » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:51 am

Like in every industry, there will be leaders with good reputations and there will be followers, that will develope their own reputations.
In a small industry like this the chancers will quickly be seperated..
DJI F450 Gps Fatshark FPV Soon GoPro3
Eveready

Postby TheFlytechguy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:01 pm

I agree there has to be a standard of some form, I have done a few stints filming at a couple of MTB races and I have been approached by producers wanting my footage but then not wanting to pay a cent for it! especially Supersport, at the one race (one of my first) I was asked for my footage to "see if we could use you in the future" so I thought well why not if I get future work...next thing is my footage is being aired on the supersport highlights package of that race.

When I say sure you can have my footage at a rate of R2500 per event I get a blank stare or a "What the F... are you smoking" look as though I just insulted their mothers :facepalm:

They are not prepared to understand that to date I have poured over R30k into my equipment, and I'll be the first to say that I am trying to do it on the cheap...
TheFlytechguy

Postby CrazyKaktus » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:03 pm

I agree with what many of you have said here, but its not the Film or pic companies that are giving drones a bad name.

Lets face it, how many people flying an octo or even a top 4 blader with a 5D on will want to just crash it because you can.. the equipment costs money.
What gives our hobby or biz a bad name are the people who head out - buy a Phantom.... and start setting distance and altitude records the same day without any idea of the crafts limitations
or how to control the craft. As a pilot, I agree that Drones should not be allowed over a 100 m in a orange or even blue zone. I use my kit to film for quite few television channels, but I keep safety in mind all the time... Don't take risks over crowds or go above 100m. I have even filmed for Portnet in one of the national harbours. I think there is a massive difference between a newbie taking on the altitude record with his new kit and someone who has been flying for years.

But then again, if the the gov applies the same strategy they did when they tried to implement digital migration from analogue for terrestrial tv - no legislation will be in place for another 6 years
CrazyKaktus

Postby BlackIce » Tue May 24, 2016 2:44 pm

We are looking for a Drone Pilot with his own Drone and knowledge of Drone software to help us on a shoot in Gauteng, near Olifantsfontein. We will require 1 test flight of 10minutes and a 10 minute recording flight. Please notify me should you be able to assist.
BlackIce

Previous

Return to General Discussions