• Advertisement

SA Beer Lift Competition 2012 VIDEOS!!!

This is where all breaking news lives :)

Re: SA Beer Lift Competition 2012 VIDEOS!!!

Postby ET51 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:46 am

So i thought i would share what i learned!

Even though this may seem obvious, i didn't think of it at first!

1. I was running with only one battery (20c 2650 maH) in the beginning (20 x 2650 maH = 58 amps) . With 4 x 18 amp speed controllers (total of 72 amps draw at full load). As soon as i fully charged both batteries and connected them in parallel, there was enough amps to feed all the speed controllers and i got it right on the first go. The following attempts failed again because i assume the batteries had discharged quite a bit on the successful lift. I only recently bought a battery alarm and was using it for the first time on the lift, took me a while to realize that the reason it was complaining on a fully charged single battery was because of the amp draw.

2, Weight distribution is very important, a friend made a quick jig using a nail and a top half of a 2l bottle to balance everything, flight was much better because one or two of the controllers were not carrying extra extra weight.

So above are some tips... lets see some more vids! (even if it only fail vids)
Make it, break it, fix it!
ET51

Postby Gamma » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:19 pm

My latest creation. Could not find a 4th beer after new years party so I used a mini soda thingy. ill remake the video at some point with more beer :D

And a tip, don't fly with a hangover. Its not fun.

YouTube
Beerlifting? Students, beer and multirotors... What can go wrong?
www.ptawug.co.za
Gamma

Postby ET51 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:48 pm

Well Done Gamma!

Superior flying skills you have :)
ET51

Postby Reynier » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:58 pm

LOL!! this is crazy but seems soo much fun. I think my quad is simmelar to Gamma's quad and might also only pick up 2 black lables. I have to vurst get my quad flaing and get my modes to get properly activated. Having a bit of trouble with my quad. But tomorrow the supplyser here in Natal opens and will be popping in to get replacement parts. :hmmm:

then i will also do the experimant.

oooops Mybadd!!!

I did not see the 3 pages...The barr has been rased. I am now probebly ,no very likely out of the competition unless i upgrade. Uuugh no mony! :facepalm:

i will just keep on watching and drule .....for the Blacklabls :woot:
Reynier

Postby ET51 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:27 pm

@ Reynier, you should still try and enter because it is not only about the weight, you could win a style or fail.

Come on... you know you want to try....

Famous last words ... "whats the worst that could happen?"
ET51

Postby Reynier » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:05 pm

ET51 wrote:@ Reynier, you should still try and enter because it is not only about the weight, you could win a style or fail.

Come on... you know you want to try....

Famous last words ... "whats the worst that could happen?"

Ooo my gosh I have lost my drone yesterday is bad weather,,,,
Go and read the wightup I send on the oage ware you interduce yourself. For newbies
I am broken up man...Soo sad on my loss
Reynier

Postby ET51 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:15 pm

OH Reynier!!!

i am so sorry to hear of your loss! This is one of my greatest fears in this hobby, but because of the nature of things, it is something that is going to happen to all of us at some point in time :(

I have read quite a few discussions on this topic on other forums, i am still wondering if i should be putting my contact details on the drone or not.

Dose anyone else put a cellphone number of something on the drone ?
ET51

Postby GarethRens » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:18 pm

To be safe, just put a cell number, no name. Then if someone finds it and calls you, you can judge by their attitude whether to ask for the drone back or hang up quickly ;)

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.stuffinc.co.za
We sell all kinds of stuff, including multi-rotor UAV/Drones :ugeek:
GarethRens
Site Admin

Postby Reynier » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:31 am

Yess I also were not sure putting any contact details on and what happens if it lands in a chopper intake air and who knows. I just never relised it could get lost this quickly. I had a person tell me he heard a loud 9mm shot goe off and then i was heading the way hoping it didnt hit a carr or damage to property or what> Well by now the whole maghbour hood knows about mee and the lost little baby hellicopter with 2 lumo orange and 2 lumo green blades in the shpe of an ex. Soo funny but i know it is in someones back yard! I am however going to go down the gorge very close to my house. Sorry for highjacking the tread > will ask collection to start my 2 nd drone but somehow Tilemeatry will be a new feacure cause brains doesnt seem to be more thane the dare vactor. I have to test things in a worst condition, maybe we have more adventured people like me ? :blush:
Reynier

Postby KevPerkins » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Great video! Well done on the lift! :woot: :woot:

Have to ask, what controller are you using?
Kevin Perkins WCc PgME M(ni)
"VTOL or nothing!...Airports are a system of control and extortion - nothing more!"
websites: http://www.kevinperkins.co.za

(world class comedian previously gifted mechanical engineer mother not impressed)
KevPerkins

PreviousNext

Return to NEWS