• Advertisement

Bent motor shafts

Discussion about Motors & Electronic Speed Controllers (ESCs)

Bent motor shafts

Postby Gamma » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:04 pm

So right. Like the heading stated, Bent motor shafts...

Everyone crashes at some time, and depending on how lucky you are you might or might not bent a shaft or 2(or 3 or 4).

So I currently have 2 motors with bent shafts, can still fly with it, but it drastically reduces stability and performance.

Is there a way to fix a bent shaft or does someone know where to get replacement shafts? Would be nice to just replace the shaft and still have a working motor rather than a bit stuffed up one working 50%
Beerlifting? Students, beer and multirotors... What can go wrong?
www.ptawug.co.za
Gamma

Re: Bent motor shafts

Postby DanZ » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi Gamma

I too have bent many motor shafts, there is no real way to "fix" them as they would never be perfect (like crumpled paper you can never straighten it again). Simplest thing to do is replace them, which motors do you use? Find out if the manufacturer sells spares. The cheaper motors I use are rctimer (they sell spares of each component for the motor) and Aeolian (spares available locally at Netram). Its the cheaper motors I generally bend as they are the ones I attempt crazy stuff with :)
DanZ

Postby Gamma » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:57 pm

DanZ wrote:Hi Gamma

I too have bent many motor shafts, there is no real way to "fix" them as they would never be perfect (like crumpled paper you can never straighten it again). Simplest thing to do is replace them, which motors do you use? Find out if the manufacturer sells spares. The cheaper motors I use are rctimer (they sell spares of each component for the motor) and Aeolian (spares available locally at Netram). Its the cheaper motors I generally bend as they are the ones I attempt crazy stuff with :)

Bleh, Was hopeful that a old RC flyer had some trick or something...

Currently on my quad I have some xCraft motors, but I bought some Turnigy stuff now to replace them(Getting replacements for them is to much effort so replacing all 4 with something easier to get). Got them from WiFly, so ill maybe ask that they stock a shaft kit from HK or something at some point...
http://wifly.co.za/products/8484-d2830- ... Q-FSKUqZbI

Above is the motors I am getting, if they are crappy, Oh well, lesson learned :D
If I had money I would get some nice T-motors but a students life is harsh.
www.ptawug.co.za
Gamma

Postby robone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Just for interest, I am now stocking shafts, bearings and circlips for the MT motors that I sell. Well I will be as soon as my stock clears customs :) and hopefully today.
http://www.multirotor.co.za
| 3DRobotics | ZeroUAV | RC Tiger Motors | Vulcan SkyHook Airframes |
robone

Postby Gamma » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:24 pm

robone wrote:Just for interest, I am now stocking shafts, bearings and circlips for the MT motors that I sell. Well I will be as soon as my stock clears customs :) and hopefully today.

Hmm are they perhaps 3.17mm? If so... I think it would be quite interesting to test if they work on other motors :woot:
www.ptawug.co.za
Gamma

Postby Gamma » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Gamma wrote:
DanZ wrote:Hi Gamma

Bleh, Was hopeful that a old RC flyer had some trick or something...

Currently on my quad I have some xCraft motors, but I bought some Turnigy stuff now to replace them(Getting replacements for them is to much effort so replacing all 4 with something easier to get). Got them from WiFly, so ill maybe ask that they stock a shaft kit from HK or something at some point...
http://wifly.co.za/products/8484-d2830- ... Q-FSKUqZbI

Above is the motors I am getting, if they are crappy, Oh well, lesson learned :D
If I had money I would get some nice T-motors but a students life is harsh.

So I just got the motors and installed them... (Big ups for WiFly on getting them here withing a day) anyway... Lesson learned...

Installed them, did a re calibration, took the quad out to the garden... and normally I get hover at about ~45% throttle.. so I kinda just raised the throttle to that point... Big mistake haha.

Quad took of like a rocket and scared the shit out of me... Got control back and hovered it above ground. So I now know I can hover with ~30% power. The new motors had WAY more power than I thought, and they work amazing (So far). Still have some death wobbles since I installed the new frame that I need to tune out and then ill take the motors to the max, was quite scared raising the throttle above 60%.
www.ptawug.co.za
Gamma

Return to Motors & Speed Controllers