• Advertisement

Setting Up a NAZA -M with a TARANIS RADIO

All things DJI related

Setting Up a NAZA -M with a TARANIS RADIO

Postby hrefab » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:52 am

Happy New Year to you all. I hope that this will be of some help to anyone struggling with a TARANIS radio.

How to setup a NAZA-M with the new TARANIS Radio using a Spektrum Receiver (AR8000)

There is virutally no information about using a Spektrum Receiver with the Taranis Radio. I have a heavy investment in Spektrum Hardware and although my Spektrum radio's have always given me excellent performance I decided to try the FRSky's TARANIS as it looked to be a very interesting radio.

As anyone who owns one of these radios will tell you, the TARANIS is a blank slate. That is to say there isn't a single thing in the radio that will help you set up a model. The documentation that comes with the radio is pathetic and could NEVER help you to do anything much more than turn the unit on. YES, that's a complaint.

For those who have prior radio experience, it isn't as big a deal, but for a newcomer buying this radio, I can envision long hours and many tears. To that end, I am posting what I have learned so far. Granted it's not much (for this radio has SO many capabilities that it would take a manual hundreds of pages long to explore and explain every feature).

Ok, so first of all, in order to work with Spektrum Receivers, you need to purchase a Specktrum compatible module. The DM9 is the one that fits the bill. Getting it to bind with the RX is also a little tricky so here is what worked for me.

Binding DM9 Module with Spektrum Receiver;

Create a new model

In Model Setup, after naming the model etc., scroll down to INTERNAL RF and switch it OFF
Set EXTERNAL MODULE to PPM
Set PPM FRAME to 22.5ms (all PPM is 22.5ms but will work with DSM2 as well as DSMX)
Change 300u to 400u and change the – sign to a + sign.

Now when you place your bind plug into the SPEKTRUM Receiver, connect power to the model and as you power up the TARANIS, hold the bind button on the DM9 module until it begins to blink. Let go and it will bind to the Receiver. Remove bind plug, turn off radio and model and then restart. RX will be bound and you can continue with the rest of the setup.

SETTING UP THE NAZA

Go to MENU 5 STICKS
Go to Rudder and make sure that Weight is at 100, expo is 0 and the graph is linear.
Go to Elevator. Weight is at 100 and Expo is at 75 (this will slow down response with model) Graph will reflect the change.
Go to Throttle, Weight is at 100, no Expo. Again, make sure that the graph is linear.
Go to Aileron, Weight is at 100, Expo is at 75.

Go to MENU 6 MIXER
You will need to be connected to your NAZA and have the Assistant up and running. Go through the Raido Calibration and make sure that your sticks are all operating in the proper direction. Go to the Setup screen to adjust GPS, ATTI, MANUAL and follow the procedure below;

Channel 1 through 4 will be standard and do not need to be touched.
Channel 5 will set up the GPS, ATTI and MANUAL

Go to Channel 5 and Edit (Scroll down and press the ENT button on the lower right hand side of the TX). Name the channel GPS, SOURCE CH5, WEIGHT 89 OFFSET 9 ( These are approximations, your setup may vary, but these numbers have worked for me. I will point out that you MUST reduce Weight from 100 in order to get the marker to move to the right location to activate the GPS, ATTI, MANUAL setup).

Select a switch to associate with the setting. I like my GPS/ATTI/MANUAL on the upper left side so I chose Switch SB. Make GPS SB↑ (Up Arrow)

Go back to the MIXER screen and with Channel 5 highlighted, hit the ENT button and press INSERT AFTER. This will make a copy of CHANNEL 5 and you can then edit that as above. This time Name the channel ATTI. SOURCE CH5, WEIGHT to 70 OFFSET 2 Switch SB- (This is the middle position of the switch).

Go Back to MIXER screen and again, press ENT button and press INSERT AFTER to create another copy. Edit that copy, name it MANUAL, SOURCE CH5, WEIGHT 90 OFFSET -7 Switch SB↓ (Arrow Down, position 3 on the switch).

Back to MIXER and add one more INSERT AFTER to set the FAILSAFE. Name setting FAILSAFE SOURCE CH5, WEIGHT -12 Offset -17 Switch SF↓. This will give you a manual method of triggering FAILSAFE without having to tun off the transmitter.

SETTING THE IOC (Intelligent Orientation Control)

Channel 6 is unused so we need to set Channel 7

Scroll down to Channel 7 in the Mixer page.
In the same way as you edited the Channel 5, you will now edit Channel 7. Name the first edit channel IOC, SOURCE CH7, WEIGHT 55, OFFSET 72, Switch SE↑ (This places IOC on the Upper Left Switch, you may place it on any switch you choose (except for a switch already programmed).
Add another with INSERT AFTER Name it COURSE. SOURCE CH7, WEIGHT 80, OFFSET 1 Switch SE-.
Add one more INSERT AFTER Name it HOME. SOURCE CH7 WEIGHT 80 OFFEST -17 Switch SE↓.

Exit the menu system.

Once you have this setup the NAZA will fly. You can then adjust and fine tune your settings to make the multi either more or less responsive. I DID reduce the Gains to 100% for initial test flying. You will up those settings once you have the craft flying to your satisfaction.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE SETTINGS I HAVE LISTED ARE ONLY AN APPROXIMATION. THESE ARE THE SETTINGS THAT WORK FOR MY SETUP. YOU MAY HAVE DIFFERENT NUMBERS. IN NO WAY AM I RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO WITH THIS RADIO. THIS IS MERELY A METHOD THAT I FOUND TO WORK FOR ME.

I am in no way any kind of expert on the TARANIS radio. It is a complex and amazing radio and will take some study to understand all the function that it's capable of. In the meantime, it is a terrific
bargain at $200.00 and may just be the perfect radio for your needs. The hours spent studying this radio will surely pay off in the future.
hrefab

Re: Setting Up a NAZA -M with a TARANIS RADIO

Postby TereSAD » Thu May 15, 2014 12:01 am

dude your post was my break though many thanks :bow: :bow: :bow: :thankyou:
TereSAD

Re: Setting Up a NAZA -M with a TARANIS RADIO

Postby hrefab » Thu May 15, 2014 1:34 am

My Pleasure. That Taranis is such a sophisticated radio that it really is like a full time occupation to get the most out of it. I am still befuddled at times with it and it's very sensitive (more so than a DX series). but it just flat out odes so many thing! Glad to have helped you. I wish there was more information on it, but I guess that will be coming as the radio gets more exposure.
hrefab

Return to DJI Innovations